Chironomids!!

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
I really like how you're filling behind the bead with resin to make that nifty smooth transition. Very cool, very fishy to this fisherman (and I bet the trout will like 'em too). What hook are you using?
Thanks, really been trying to get better and something, haha since it isn't catching. I switched to the (Umpqua ) TMC 2499SP-BL for all wet/nymoh flies. They are so much stouter and with the rider gap and half circle, it really seems to hold fish. My "comed off" ratio really went down, and hold never straighten. Also, seems like comparing to my previous flies/hold they are labeled one size bigger, 14 TMC 2499 equals old 16.

Just my opinion, but since they are working better, I don't think I will be going back!!!

Buzzy

Thanks, really been trying to get better and something, haha since it isn't catching. I switched to the (Umpqua ) TMC 2499SP-BL for all wet/nymoh flies. They are so much stouter and with the rider gap and half circle, it really seems to hold fish. My "comed off" ratio really went down, and hold never straighten. Also, seems like comparing to my previous flies/hold they are labeled one size bigger, 14 TMC 2499 equals old 16.

Just my opinion, but since they are working better, I don't think I will be going back!!!
I forgot to ask what UV resin you're using. My Deercreek supply is almost gone.

Bruce Baker

Herb Superb (maker of the oh so fine Big Dipper nets) mailed me two packages of MAGNUM Flashabou today. Couldn't resist tying up a .44 Magnum, the world's most powerful chironomid (Sorry Dirty Harry). Size 12 Maruto c40HW with a 1/8" tungsten bead. Going to need Ira's big iracator to float a pair of these.

View attachment 234758
I sometimes having issues telling dark colors apart from one another. Is that black flashabou?

Buzzy

I sometimes having issues telling dark colors apart from one another. Is that black flashabou?
Bruce - Black holographic (magnum size) Flashabou (item 3297). I missed the trip to BC last June 1st with Herb Superb. I guess his tie using this material saved two days on one lake. Somehow it was the ticket; we all know that what works one day might not the next. Maybe that's why I have four boxes of just midge patterns?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This was an emerger pattern called the raccoon by Paul Lasha way back when.
View attachment 233358
I wonder what ever happened to that guy?
Great pattern indeed.
Not sure what happened to him.
I enjoyed watching his videos. I saw him put on a clinic one day at Lenice.

I started tying them with a foam back for durability.
I had a lot of success with pink, red and orange bodies when pink ladies were coming off.
A few shredded ones after a good day on the lake.
SF

5B306575-CBCC-47B4-BC80-599C0484FD15.jpeg
14DC88E0-AC4C-4E0D-BFF1-9352D2E1B1F5.jpeg

Buzzy

Great pattern indeed.
Not sure what happened to him.
I enjoyed watching his videos. I saw him put on a clinic one day at Lenice.

I started tying them with a foam back for durability.
I had a lot of success with pink, red and orange bodies when pink ladies were coming off.
A few shredded ones after a good day on the lake.
SF

View attachment 235504 View attachment 235506
Brian - thanks for sharing this story and pictures, must have been a great day back before triploids when the lakes had big browns and rainbows............... When you mentioned pink ladies emerging the light switch in my brain clicked (bulb is apparently burned out) with some faint memory. I can't remember who or when I heard about the bug (turns out its a mayfly; thanks @Troutnut for some great pictures). Another pattern, based on color and size, that represents a couple species of bugs and apparently a very worthy bug to have in our boxes.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts