Chironomids!!

Hookset

Running a fishfinder opens up a lot of indicator fishing water that you might not be fishing effectively without one. I went without until about 5 years ago. If you can’t see bottom and nobody else is around to show you where fish are being caught, it takes some work to plumb depth with hemo’s and you are missing subtle differences in structure that may make a big difference. When fish are on ‘mids they often lock into feeding in a particular, and repeatable zone. For example, 14 feet deep on the outside edge of a weedy shoal. If you figure it out early in the day you can often move to other parts of the lake and find the zone again.

Could you figure it out on your own? Sure. But maybe you are crossing open water and there is a hump that comes up from deep water to 14’. You would have blown past it without the fishfinder. And if the zone is 2 feet off the bottom in 24’ good luck :)
I’m convinced. Cabela’s is having a sale on the Garmin. I’m a new proud owner. We’ll give a try next week when it’s delivered.

Now, I have to apologize to friends who had purchased fish finders previously. I might have accused them of using next to dynamite in their arsenal.

pond monkey

Running a fishfinder opens up a lot of indicator fishing water that you might not be fishing effectively without one. I went without until about 5 years ago. If you can’t see bottom and nobody else is around to show you where fish are being caught, it takes some work to plumb depth with hemo’s and you are missing subtle differences in structure that may make a big difference. When fish are on ‘mids they often lock into feeding in a particular, and repeatable zone. For example, 14 feet deep on the outside edge of a weedy shoal. If you figure it out early in the day you can often move to other parts of the lake and find the zone again.

Could you figure it out on your own? Sure. But maybe you are crossing open water and there is a hump that comes up from deep water to 14’. You would have blown past it without the fishfinder. And if the zone is 2 feet off the bottom in 24’ good luck :)
and It takes time to learn how to interpret finders to accurately mark fish...,..best to turn off “fish i.d. and read just raw returns......

onefish

You tube is your friend with respect to "how to" videos to shorten the learning curve for using your sounder. It is time well invested to watch a few of them before you hit the water. Make sure to take the manual with you on the water so you can play with your unit and get it dialed in.

Hookset

You tube is your friend with respect to "how to" videos to shorten the learning curve for using your sounder. It is time well invested to watch a few of them before you hit the water. Make sure to take the manual with you on the water so you can play with your unit and get it dialed in.
Roger that. Thanks

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
My "warm water species" fishing buddy bought a new Humminbird for his 18' Arima. We were fishing Potholes and were having trouble with the million or so options for the display. I dug my smartphone out, googled Humminbird and called their technical assistance line. For the next half our or so Kc and I enjoyed talking to a very "southern gal" who coached us through many of the options until we could actually use it with a degree of confidence. That was a good experience. I wish Humminbird still made their Fishin' Buddy 120.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I like the spool
So, while doing a bit at the bench tonight, View attachment 221810 another question do you stick with what you always use or change and try new things?
View attachment 221811

(Sorry @Scott Salzer had to throw the beverage pic in for you)
I like the elastic spool keepers on your wire spools. Where would a fellow get those if you don't mind me asking.
Feel free to PM if you don't want to hotspot your source.;)

Frenchie

I'm a little bit north of you guys, but generally here its chironomid time from ice off to early/mid summer, during this time I'm almost exclusively fishing them.

I dont have a ton of experience in the fall lake fishery but generally we switch over to leeches, scuds and gomphus, but I have caught fish on chronies in the fall as well, just not as epic as the spring time

Jon

jamma

I’ll bite. What recommendations on fish finders? Hemostats are a no brainer for those easily confused.
There was a post on this a little while back, see if you can't dig it up. I'm in the same boat as I discovered my Hummingbird died this winter.(Sad trombone sound)

dbk

I’ll bite. What recommendations on fish finders? Hemostats are a no brainer for those easily confused.
The Hummingbird 120 or 140c seem to be regarded with great affinity as they are no longer being made. They show up sometimes on ebay.. here is a listing for a brand new fishing buddy 120 that is still in the box..
www.ebay.com/itm/Humminbird-120-Fishin-Buddy-Fishfinder-with-mount-BRAND-NEW-NIB/193272800621?epid=78711515&hash=item2cfff4e56d:g:XQ4AAOSwvGteBBAi

Not sure though it's worth it however as the bidding us at $383 with a day to go on the auction..

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I saw that one too. That's too much money imho. A used one about a month went for 155 dollars.

pond monkey

Weighted buzzer....size 14 2xl......and more...

Attachments

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock