Winter Spey flies

skyrise

my 2 cents worth is pick some patterns based on these colors for winter. Black, purple, red, orange, pink, green(chartreuse), blue and white. mix in some flash or sparkle. winters hope ?

HauntedByWaters

For when I am lazy at the vice, I tie the Purple egg sucking leech with chartreuse egg, copper wire wrap, a little krystal flash in tail. The alternates are an orange and red body with pink head and a black body with white head.

This is not the sexiest fly these days but they are quick, easy to tie on to fish, and no special hooks. I don’t fly fish much in the winter these days, but when I do I usually fish one of these and catch something if not that unicorn.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
The best pattern is one that the fish can see and is properly presented. I wouldn't overthink it too much. Purple, Pink, Orange, Black, Red are good primary colors. Look online at fly patterns in those colors, and pick a simple pattern that you think looks cool.

I'd recommend Marabou for it's simplicity and effectiveness. Two marabou feathers, a few strands of flash and a guinea or schlappen head and you've got a fly that casts well and is as proven as any winter steelhead fly in existence.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
For when I am lazy at the vice, I tie the Purple egg sucking leech with chartreuse egg, copper wire wrap, a little krystal flash in tail. The alternates are an orange and red body with pink head and a black body with white head.

This is not the sexiest fly these days but they are quick, easy to tie on to fish, and no special hooks. I don’t fly fish much in the winter these days, but when I do I usually fish one of these and catch something if not that unicorn.
I've hooked a bunch of fish on an esl tied wooley bugger style. I prefer orange heads. Potato, potato....tomato, tomato.

I also like a couple turns of craft fur in a loop followed by a couple turns of maraboo. Blue and black or black and orange.

Do the craft fur/ maraboo deal on a shank at the tail and head and you have a bigger fly.

Go sox,
Cds

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts