Bad Saltwater hooks?

Nol

Needs to fish more..
On a recent beach fishing trip and while finding a pod of resident coho I had many flies I had recently tied break off at the bend. I realized most of the hooks had been from a pack of Umpqua saltwater hooks size 6 model U401. Has anyone had issue with these hooks?
On beaches I expect to break some on hitting rocks etc but this was worse than usual and really bad timing as I was hooking quite a few fish

DerekWhipple

The "U" hooks are umpqua's budget line. I bought a pack of U nymph hooks and they bent super easy. I would say stay away. It's not worth saving a couple bucks just to end up losing fish.

g_smolt

Recreational User
I have used the U401's in szs2/0-8 for years now and and I rarely have problems with them. I use them for my client flies, and I have probably tied somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 dz flies on 'em. They have good runs and bad runs - the most common faults are off-horizontal eyes and eyes not fully closed - but the one thing they don't do is break before they bend, or without a major impact to the hook.

TheU401s "spring" easily when compared to a stouter hook like an 811s, and they do have a habit of bending to a permanent position under great load rather than springing. For the most part, the U401s my guests have broken were the end result of slappin' a fly on the rocks (or other hard, relatively massive objects) and weakening the hook until ANY pressure was going to break it, and it don't matter what hook you use if you're slappin' rocks.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I agree with g_smolt. I've used those hooks a ton and never had anything resembling consistent issues that I felt weren't my own fault.

I would guess, if it truly was not caused by something during the fishing process, that you just got a rare bad batch

Nol

Needs to fish more..
Thanks for the feedback. It was a higher tide so i may have been slapping rocks more than I realized. It was 6-8 flies that had broke.

SilverFly

I've used them in sizes 4 through 3/0 for everything from bonefish to tuna. So far, never had any problems with them breaking or bending.

Jack Devlin

The Umpqua “U” hook is their “value” line. You get what you pay for. But, the best of hooks won’t survive a ding on a backcast. (How many timed have I found that out)

Dave Boyle

How are you crimping the barb? Maybe you’re stressing the hook too much so it is more likely to break. Eg I use pliers with no ‘teeth’ and use a gradual rolling from side to side over the barb while gripping hard to mash it.

Dave

Philonius

Maybe I got the same batch of #6 TMC U401's that you did. Every darn one broke at the bend much more quickly than any other hook I've seen. Most of the time I can destroy a dumbell eye without breaking a hook; these ones (tied without) failed early.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Too bad they can’t design a hook that breaks automatically when you hook a humpy.
Product release date....2021.

Never had a issue with the U401’s.
SF

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I've tied on a bunch of these basic ss saltwater hooks from quite a few manufacturers and they are all identical. I'm not convinced these aren't just coming from the same factories with different labels and price points.

Squamishpoacher

What Nick says. It's not like all these companies selling hooks have their very own factories. They buy from hook makers and put their label on them. Dohitomi in Japan for example makes hooks for a lot of outfits like Orvis, Allen, Togens and others. Orvis also gets hooks from Mustad and Daiichi and do not have their own hook factory turning out their own brand. You see the same thing in reels. Same reel with a different label is often the case. Spend a little time on Alibaba and you may see the reel you own selling for a lot less without a brand name on it but keep in mind what you aren't buying is the warranty if something fails.

Last edited:

FinLuver

What Nick says. It's not like all these companies selling hooks have their very own factories. They buy from hook makers and put their label on them. Dohitomi in Japan for example makes hooks for a lot of outfits like Orvis, Allen, Togens and others. Orvis also gets hooks from Mustad and Daiichi and do not have their own hook factory turning out their own brand. You see the same thing in reels. Same reel with a different label is often the case. Spend a little time on Alibaba and you may see the reel you own selling for a lot less without a brand name on it but keep in mind what you aren't buying is the warranty if something fails.
The worth of a name can be in the 100s, if not 1000s of dollars...
I just have to figure out how much my name is worth. :D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock