Bad Saltwater hooks?

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
I had the same thought as @Dave Boyle since I've managed to stress hook points during the debarbing process. And my often clumsy backcasts don't help either.

Nol

Needs to fish more..
I had the same thought as @Dave Boyle since I've managed to stress hook points during the debarbing process. And my often clumsy backcasts don't help either.
I may have messed the hooks up when debarbing them, but I wasn't doing anything different than what I've done on other hooks that didn't break

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
I may have messed the hooks up when debarbing them, but I wasn't doing anything different than what I've done on other hooks that didn't break
Watch your back cast, then! (just joking)

Nol

Needs to fish more..
Based on everyone's comments I'm beginning to think the breaking hooks issue may have been something I must have done to weaken them rather than them being a bad batch

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Based on everyone's comments I'm beginning to think the breaking hooks issue may have been something I must have done to weaken them rather than them being a bad batch
Maybe it’s not necessarily a bad batch of hooks, just the wrong hook for your application. Some hooks are tempered to be harder than others, and harder hooks are more brittle. That means that if you whack them on a rock on your backcast they will break, where a softer hook will bend or just bounce back. I have some of those hooks, and they seem pretty hard. The barbs tend to break when they are crushed, which shows their brittleness. I doubt they’d survive a good solid whack on a rock.

I really doubt that it’s something you are doing in the fly tying process. Odds are high that It’s your backcast. I used to have that problem, but I solved it by getting a boat!

Reactions: Nol

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info