Another butt extension thread!

scottcat

Hi folks, I've got a 10- 3 in 5at I'm thinking of trying to troutspey with. The end of the cap/reel seat is threaded. Could I just get an extension bitt for it and fish it? Wondering about the stress on it. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Scott

Reactions: jwg

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Why not go buy a Switch rod you can pick up cheap ones on the bay most beginner spey caster never use a high dollar rod which is fast action for what it is design.

scottcat

Why not go buy a Switch rod you can pick up cheap ones on the bay most beginner spey caster never use a high dollar rod which is fast action for what it is design.
I guess my thought was more like a switch rod. Just trying to get more use for a rod that sits a lot. It's a Rogue Rod, Oregon company. Nicely built and thought a screw in a butt extension would make it a 2 hander. Beach possibilities were also a thought at 10ft 3inch length.

cmann886

I have used screw in butts from Anglers Roost (Johhny passed away and I don't think anyone has picked up his business), and yeoldenglish fly shop and used them to convert a rod with a detachable fighting butt as light spey/switch rods. I have used a Rio 15' replacement floating or sinking tip (The Gorge fly shop has some as discontinued items for a great price) directly on the running line or a 150-200 gr. OPST Commando head.

The rod that I have used these on are much shorter than your 10'3" rods and are used for fishing strayers and soft hackles in small streams and rivers.

For only a few bucks it is worth giving it a try. I would not worry about the stress so long as you keep the weight of the head appropriate. My only advice is to make certain the advertised length is the length of the cork so that you have a butt large enough to be functional for that purpose.

scottcat

I have used screw in butts from Anglers Roost (Johhny passed away and I don't think anyone has picked up his business), and yeoldenglish fly shop and used them to convert a rod with a detachable fighting butt as light spey/switch rods. I have used a Rio 15' replacement floating or sinking tip (The Gorge fly shop has some as discontinued items for a great price) directly on the running line or a 150-200 gr. OPST Commando head.

The rod that I have used these on are much shorter than your 10'3" rods and are used for fishing strayers and soft hackles in small streams and rivers.

For only a few bucks it is worth giving it a try. I would not worry about the stress so long as you keep the weight of the head appropriate. My only advice is to make certain the advertised length is the length of the cork so that you have a butt large enough to be functional for that purpose.

scottcat

Thanks for your reply. Exactly the type info I was hoping. My main concern was it a screw in grip could handle it. The experiment begins!

Bake

I have tried to contact them, without any success. I read ( on their site ) about their fighting butts, and I believe they are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm guessing they are completely "Out of Business". Has anyone found another source for interchangeable fighting butts?

Last edited:

scottcat

I have tried to contact them, without any success. I read ( on their site ) about their fighting butts, and I believe they are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm guessing they are completely "Out of Business". Has anyone found another source for interchangeable fighting butts?
Not sure where you are located. I found one at Greg's Custom Fishing Rods in Lake Stevens,Wa. He has few on the shelf and could probably get what you want also. Small fishing store that builds rods and does repairs. Been around a long time. Less than 20 bucks and I'm in the game!

Bake

Not sure where you are located. I found one at Greg's Custom Fishing Rods in Lake Stevens,Wa. He has few on the shelf and could probably get what you want also. Small fishing store that builds rods and does repairs. Been around a long time. Less than 20 bucks and I'm in the game!
I live down here in what many people call the "God Dam Desert" in California. The nearest tackle/fly shop to me is BassPro ( about 160 miles round trip ). 30-35 years ago when I was a Bass Tournament Fisherman living in Texas I love BassPro, but as a fly fisherman, BP is a little thin...

Last edited:

scottcat

I live down here in what many people call the "God Dam Desert" in California. The nearest tackle/fly shop to me is BassPro ( about 160 miles round trip ). 30-35 years ago when I was a Bass Tournament Fisherman living in Texas I love BassPro, but as a fly fisherman, BP is a little thin...
He would probably ship. Or he should have sources for you. Wouldn't hurt making a call.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts