What to Consider When Buying a Materelli Whip Finisher

Squamishpoacher

Food for thought. I have 3 of these, all the same size. I like the one on the left as I find the thread will sometimes slip off the hook of the other. 20200105_124758.jpg

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
WFF Supporter
I also prefer the deeper hook. I added an extended reach whip finish tool which comes in handy at times.

DennisE

Topwater and tying.
That one on the right also has a blunt tip on the hook. I've had bad experiences with that, too. Thread doesn't slide off as easy when you want it to.

silvercreek

WFF Supporter
Frank Matarelli passed away in 2018. His tools are no longer made. You must mean Matarelli type or style whip finisher.
I have yet to find a whip finisher as good as a Matarelli.
Jack,

I agree with you. Those who think the copies are as well made or work as well as the original Matarellis have never used an original Matarelli. Original Matarellis have not been made for quite some time, well before Frank passed.

Jack Devlin

Jack,

I agree with you. Those who think the copies are as well made or work as well as the original Matarellis have never used an original Matarelli. Original Matarellis have not been made for quite some time, well before Frank passed.
He was only 102.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Food for thought. I have 3 of these, all the same size. I like the one on the left as I find the thread will sometimes slip off the hook of the other. View attachment 222544
When I look at those compared to mine, yours look crude (no offense) in comparison, Mine have chrome beads, and the finish is a alot nicer. Are you sure they are authentic? I knew Frank back in the day, and I knew him as a fascinating and very meticulous man. Very interesting stories of working as a machinist on the Manhattan Project!

Squamishpoacher

When I look at those compared to mine, yours look crude (no offense) in comparison, Mine have chrome beads, and the finish is a alot nicer. Are you sure they are authentic? I knew Frank back in the day, and I knew him as a fascinating and very meticulous man. Very interesting stories of working as a machinist on the Manhattan Project!
That's pretty cool! Fly tying and fly fishing was probably an enjoyable pastime for him.

I couldn't tell you how long I have had either of these but doubt very much that either are the real item. I've tied for 50 years now and can't recall where most of my tools came from, other than my old Thompson A Ultra which was my first one and guys always remember their first one.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info