Reel Seats

longputt

This add popped up on my computer today. I've built a few rods over the years but I always installed the reel seat first.

This add looks like they install the cork then the reel seat. Just interesting to me so I'd thought I'd share.

1578445846228.png

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
WFF Supporter
This add popped up on my computer today. I've built a few rods over the years but I always installed the reel seat first.

This add looks like they install the cork then the reel seat. Just interesting to me so I'd thought I'd share.

View attachment 222761
I have too, but that was with prefab cork. Im sure its easier to turn handles without a reel seat on there. Blank butt right in the lathe chuck.

Rob Allen

They probably do the reel seat last so the butt end of the rod is available to fit easily into multiple machines.

Dr.Spaceman

I turn my grips on the blank so just tight hand fit (no epoxy), without the seat installed, except when turning a grip with hidden hood uplocker. In that case I dry fit the glued cork as normal but also dry fit the hood (always bore that ring before gluing up grip) AND the barrel. This way I get total concentricity of the grip and can position it as desired for final glue-up. The idea there being that if there's a void in the cork I can place it such that it doesn't gather dirt from handling. This is a rare issue since my cork supplier sends me sheets and I cut my own rings from extreme high-grade flor.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
I reshape my premade cork grips with my elec drill chucked in my bench vise. And since the butt section of most bamboo rods are a lot bigger in diameter due to the taper, I put the cork grip on the blank over the ferrule, reelseat last.

Last edited:

longputt

I haven't used a metal ferrule for 45+ years! As soon as the Fenwick glass blanks had an integral ferrule I bought one and never went back! I have some 1970s blanks that are called Ferulite.

herkileez

WFF Supporter

View attachment 222761
I glue my seat and cork rings on the blank all at once..that way, everything stays where it should be, with nothing shifting out of position. I guess nothing wrong with separately, but why would they?

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
I reshape my premade cork grips with my elec drill chucked in my bench vise. And since the butt section of most bamboo rods are a lot bigger in diameter due to the taper, I put the cork grip on the blank over the ferrule, reelseat last.
Just a word of caution, on three and four piece rods sometimes the welt on the female ferrule is larger than the diameter of the shaft under the grip, don't ask me how I figured that out :eek: :confused:

Tom Bowden

I do the cork grip first, then glue in the ferrule, then apply finish to the bamboo, wrap and epoxy or varnish the guides, then the reel seat last. Other reasons for doing it this are 1. I like to have the cork grip on before deciding which flat to place the guides, and 2. If something goes wrong, a reel seat is sometimes hard to remove without damage, and usually costs more than a cork grip to replace.

Mike, you aren't the only one to find out a ferrule welt is often bigger than the butt diameter. "Me too!"

Tom

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts