Za'atar

Gary Knowels

Curious to how many people here are cooking with za'atar and making their own?

It's one of my favorite flavor profiles. I'm currently using the following recipe

2 tablespoon sumac
2 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon kosher salt (mortens)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper

It is better if you toast and grind your own cumin, but not necessary.

I put it on all kinds of stuff, goes good on most everything I've tried, but 2 of my favorites are popcorn and roasted carrots

For the carrots I make a glaze of za'atar, olive oil, and honey. Cut lengthwise, glaze, place on roasting pan at 425, reglaze halfway through cooking time (about 25 minutes total time iirc)

What are you guys doing with it?

DavidJP

I use it a lot for grilling meat and vegetables, skewers of lamb in a pita bread with some cucumber, mint and yoghurt sauce with grilled zucchini, pepper, onions is very nice.
I was given a large pack from a friend with herbs collected from the mountains in southern Lebanon that has a fantastic flavour but your recipe looks good and ill have to eventually make my own

Gary Knowels

I've never heard of it, and I consider myself fairly worldly-wise. I'll try it!
Super common in the Eastern Mediterranean. Marinate some chicken thighs in yogurt, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and za'atar then grill. Yum!

BTW, store bought blends aren't very good.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Super common in the Eastern Mediterranean. Marinate some chicken thighs in yogurt, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and za'atar then grill. Yum!

BTW, store bought blends aren't very good.
I must have eaten it - I lived in Tripoli, Libya for 6 years, and love Middle Eastern food!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock