Stumped on Materials

Meeshka

A few years ago a buddy (he bought them) gave me a few of these dragonfly nymphs, and I'm down to 2 and one is pretty chewed. I don't think it is a difficult tie but just stumped on the body material. To me it looks like olive ostrich herl colored with a brown marker, possibly spun in a dubbing loop The hackle is a coachman brown and the head case and wing again looks like ostrich herl. Eyes are mono I think. Measures about 1/2 inch wide at the widest, and a 1/4 inch dorsal to ventral.
Body could be furry foam but unfamiliar with it - never used it. Any ideas cause it can be a really good fly in the right situation.
DSC_0673.JPG
DSC_0674.JPG
DSC_0675.JPG
DSC_0676.JPG

Thanks,

Doug

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Do the fish really care what the brown body material is? I understand the OCD in wanting to replicate the pattern exactly. I have pattern OCD myself. I would use brown ostrich, brown marabou or brown filoplume for the body and see which looked the best.

Looks to be something under the body to make it bulkier in addition to the body feathers.

Meeshka

Nope, nothing under the body, wrapped tight to the shaft of the hook. Could be a pheasant aftershaft died olive. Thanks never thought of that

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Seems like some marabou and a hackle as well? You might look at Jay Fair "swimming hackle" - when combed out it produces a body "similar" to what I'm seeing in your photos. I have used the swimming hackle to dragon fly nymphs.

tkww

Body is trimmed marabou. Shellback could also be some really low-grade (or worn off or stripped) peacock hurl. Hackle reminds of (dyed?) pheasant rump but the barbules seem a little thin. Any sort of large dyed-griz hackle or griz slchappen should do the trick. Head is twisted/wrapped marabou.

Squamishpoacher

It looks like dyed chickabou to me or dyed leg feathers from a ringneck. Looks like there may be a short dyed pheasant rump hackle as well.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock