Resident coho..

NRC

WFF Supporter
What about mid day on a rising tide? Or best early morning or late evening...
This time of year you can get them any time of day on any tide. Just be ready to switch beaches if you’re not getting any action. And watch for jumpers. I’ll send you a pm.

keekster4504

General question about rezzies... I was catching a fair number of them the week around New Years (my first, actually, after about a year of fishing the Sound). My understanding is that they're of hatchery origin, but one that I caught and assumed was a rezzie (was definitely not a cutthroat) had an adipose fin and made me doubt that assumption. Are they all of hatchery origin, or is the population just hatchery supplemented? I realize that it's also possible that what I caught wasn't a rezzie, or just happened to not get its adipose clipped.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
While the south sound wild coho numbers are pretty dismal, there are still some around.
Some of the unclipped fish may just be hatchery fish that just weren't clipped or where not clipped on purpose to used as part of studies.
I can recall catching a number of early summer season coho that were unclipped but had coded wire tags in them when wanded by the fish checkers.

At one time they were ventral clipping resident coho so they could identify which hatchery program they came from. I'm not sure if that is still going on.
SF

Thrasybulus

The new fly fisherman
The resident coho are pretty small in February. I enjoy targeting them in April-May when the average size is 14" or or bigger (depending on the year).

Jake

WFF Supporter
I did a little tide pooling during the "Snow Moon" last weekend. The most common food item were these. Thousands of them. Maybe someone can chime in with the ID. To me they look like a size 14 Olive Hare's Ear fished tight line on a tidal swing. View attachment 226378
Great job scouting and paying attention to the food. There are a number of patterns can imitate them if that’s what they’re keyed into. The Hare’s ear might work, and here’s another one you might try by our very own Leland.

41DA4EC2-F8FD-4861-9F47-FE7CF33A22A4.jpeg

For what little it’s worth, I’d dead drift and either give them short popping twitches (not really enough to move the fly, but to give it movement) or really long and slow retrieves while staying tight to fly.

Last edited:

Dawg

Went out on Wednesday with a friend on his boat from Gig Harbor. Fished the incoming tide, and hit several beaches with no grabs and did not see any fish working on top. We decided to swing by a very well known beach on our way back and picked up two resident coho. The first was about 13" long and the second was a bit bigger, probably 15 " long. Both of these fish were caught on a chartreuse clouser using a type 3 sinking line. Great day to be out on the water, very calm wind, no rain and overcast. In my opinion, this is a great fishery and it has added nicely to the cutthroat fishing in the sound.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts