The Feather Thief

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
My wife bought it for me. Out of curiosity, I found a Link to the English web site where the members bought many of the contraband bird skins. In their classifieds I found someone selling Indian Crow whole bird skins. He had 4 skins and and wanted a fortune for each one. The first reply asked to buy all of them. Damn Pommie Ba$tards. ( I spent 4 years in Oz and have a card that allows me to use that language).

Idaho steel

Aside from the ethical issues, my biggest takeaway was the fact that none of these flies are destined to see the water. No one will ever feel the thrill of a tight line when a fish takes the result of their skill and labor. A legitimate craft turned into competitive art... I don't know why I find that so sad, but I do.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
I enjoyed the book, although I'm not sure how much I would have if I hadn't been a fly fisher/tyer. The real tragedy isn't that many of the stolen feathers have been lost forever, but that many of the species became "rare", and were driven to the point of extinction to begin with, in the name of fashion/sport/etc. More often than not, the importance of a species was (and all too often, still is) determined soley by its benefit to us.

Mark Mercer

Haven't read it yet but remember when it was going on in the Atlantic Salmon tying world, some of the guys in Europe I used to talk with hadn't bought any of the stolen feathers but knew folks that had.
Shitty deal all around, but there are guy's that will pay whatever they have to to get the real thing. It's a crazy world out there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock