Tinsel bodies

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
I want to try my hand at some Glasso spey flies. What is the process for wrapping a tinsel body ribbed with tinsel? What techniques are used to ensure a smooth uniform body? Is the ribbing tied in up front so the body is uniform with no lump in the back?

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
tie on ribbing at the eye of the hook and wrap over with thread to the bend.

return tying thread to behind the eye to create a smooth thread underbody and then tie in the body tinsel behind the eye.

wrap tinsel to the bend in touching turns and then wrap the tinsel in touching turns back to the eye

no lumps and no gaps in the tinsel showing the thread underbody

spiral wrap the ribbing material to the eye

thats how i do smooth tinsel bodies. other tyers may be different

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
yes underwrap with white thread if you are only doing a single layer of tinsel from bend to eye otherwise the way i mention will not show the dark thread through any gaps in the tinsel

GOTY

6x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Norms method works well. So does using a norvise, perfect tinsel body in about 2.4 seconds.

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
Mmm, yeah, Norvise. One day. I do have a rotary vise that made it much easier. Norm's method was perfect. Now I just need to work on getting those fucking wings tied in correctly.

Reactions: MD

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
c-dawg

here is another article on feather wings. check out step 12-14

regardless of which rotary vise is used, it is still up to the tyer behind the vise to position and hold the tinsel at the proper angle while rotating the vise to achieve the desired result. vises alone do not tie flies ;) :cool:

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
From the vise of Dick Winter, Klamath Falls, Oregon, his Extended body Yellow Drake

Dick tied many different flies for the Big Yellow May (Heptagenia limbata). This version is specifically for the tumbly water.

View attachment 223274

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
Thanks, Norm, that's some good info. Glasso used two feathers per side, so it's marrying all of them up and getting them placed correctly that's challenging. Flattening the stems will definitely help.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
c-dawg

here is another article on feather wings. check out step 12-14

regardless of which rotary vise is used, it is still up to the tyer behind the vise to position and hold the tinsel at the proper angle while rotating the vise to achieve the desired result. vises alone do not tie flies ;) :cool:
That is one of the best SBS instructions I've seen. Lots of the tips are transferable to flys other than streamers.
Tiers, if you haven't, do yourself a favor and check out the link to globalflyfishers.com.
I'm glad I did.
Thanks for post Norm.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
When doing a single layer flat metal tinsel from bend to eye I have found it helpful to use a good thread wax with enough resin content to make it sticky on your last layer of under wrap up to the eye. It will hold the tinsel in place right where you put it.

Jaydub

I think Hans Weilenmann has a technique where he wraps the tinsel from the front to the back then twists the remaining length of tinsel and wraps it forward as a rib. I doubt it's as durable as the method Norm mentioned, but it looks pretty good.

Here is a little tip when making tinsel bodies. When you tie in the tinsel and start to wrap, the tinsel naturally kinks on the first wrap. You can smooth this out if Tie in the tinsel at the front of the body with about three wraps of thread. Wrap the tinsel to the rear and back forward as Norm says. When you get within a couple wraps of the front, unwrap the three turns of thread, flatten out the tinsel tag and continue wrapping the tinsel forward over it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock