Trout spey Scandi recommendation

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
I have an 11'3" 3wt trout spey rod from Redington. It's grain window is 200-225 for Scandi, and 250-275 for Skagit. I'm currently throwing a 265 Commando head, which the rod handles well with 92 grain MOW tips and lightly weighted flies.

I'd like to get a Scandi line for a little more finesse. RIO's 3wt Trout Spey is 265gr, and their Scandi Short is 240gr. The 2wts are 230gr and 210gr, respectively. Additionally, the Trout Spey is 23' and the Scandi Short is 29'.

My only experience is with Skagit heads, so how big of a learning curve will it be casting a 29' head be on an 11' rod?

I'm looking for some line recommendations for using drys and soft hackles. It doesn't have to be RIO, I only looked at them for reference.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
I use Rio’s Trout spey for a 4 weight and I love this line. The Scandi for me is way more enjoyable to cast.
For me the learning curve was minimal. I think they are easier to cast than a short Skagit.

Speyrod GB

I use an Airflo Spey/Switch integrated line 270 grain on my Loomis 4wt short spey and love it. The rod is 11' 11". The line came with a clear floating poly leader, which I have not used yet. I have used an intermediate, fast sinking and super extra fast sinking poly leader with the scandal head. They all fly, especially when I do things right.

I went to a Spey Day last September and was fortunate to cast several rod and line combinations. I discovered I'm not a mono shooting line fan. I also discovered I like the Scandi type lines better than the Skagit type lines. The Skagit type heads were too clunky for me. It could also be my casting experience as well.

I tend to fish a lot of small streamers and leeches with the rod. It will throw some fairly big stuff pretty easy. The Scandi head has a more gradual taper and I think it casts much nicer.

I think your'e learning curve will be pretty short. I usually only have about a foot of overhang. I agree with Bob, I think they are easier to cast.

Hope that helps.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
With a 10’ clear floating and intermediate poly tip, the Trout spey is money for swinging soft hackles.

I also wanted to add that the OPST Cammando Groove is an awesome winter line! It casts like a freakin champ!

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
Great info; thanks, all. It sounds like the Trout Spey is the way to go. Given the grain windows I noted above, should I go with the 3wt which is the same weight as a Skagit head, or drop down to the 2wt which is closer to the Scandi window for the rod?

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Great info; thanks, all. It sounds like the Trout Spey is the way to go. Given the grain windows I noted above, should I go with the 3wt which is the same weight as a Skagit head, or drop down to the 2wt which is closer to the Scandi window for the rod?
I’d go with the 3wt.

Gene S

Check out Scientific Anglers Spey Lite. I'm now using these on a few of my trout speys. It's an integrated line between a skagit and scandi which makes stripping and fighting fish a lot easier and can handle smaller streamers or wets. As mentioned if you don't mind a loop to loop connection the Rio Scandi body is a nice driver.

Bake

Might try a Rio, Single Hand Spey, 5wt. (200grs.), 6wt. (230grs.), or maybe a 7wt. (260 grs.). I just love that long sweet front taper...

Note: The Single Hand Spey 3D are the same weight

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock