Kayakers'... Would Love To Hear From You

SARG950

My third (and hopefully last) back operation last August feels like it finally fixed me... so much so that I've been thinking about getting back into kayak fishing. While I had (and sold) a Hobie Outback, :)() I've been considering a Lost Creek 10' pedal kayak. If you happen to use one, I'd love to hear from you (good, bad, or indifferent). I'm particularly interested in stability, handling, and quality. Much thanks...

Snopro

I don't know anything about that particular kayak, but I'm glad to hear you've making a comeback. Kayaks (and SUP) have so many advantages over other craft. It's my preferred way to fish.

Good to see your question asked on the kayak site also. You might receive more info there.

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
I think there is a pedal kayak listed right now in classifieds. Might want to take a look if it is still available

Reactions: ffb

ffb

I have a Native Slayer Propel 13 for sale right now in the classifieds. 13' and stable for casting and fishing. Has some accessories with it as well. I think you will appreciate the extra length especially if you plan on taking it out in Puget Sound at all. Natives have a good rep and there's a number of people here on the forums with the same kayak.

SARG950

My Hobie was the 12' Outback and it was as heavy as I wanted. No desire to wrestle around with one that size. Of course, I should never have gotten rid of it...

Reactions: ffb

Mark Kadoshima

I have a 12' Hobie Compass and a couple of 10 foot paddle kayaks. I fish the sound quite a bit in the Compass but wouldn't feel comfortable in the smaller kayaks.
For me...the 180 pedal drive is really nice to maintain a drift a consistent distance from the beach and if I want to troll backwards. Of course having my rod in one hand and a beer or sandwich in the other while still fishing is also a benefit.
I would probably go with a new Outback if I had the chance, although I'm really happy with my Compass. Managing line was at first a problem but I soon learned how to keep it out of the way.
Good luck with the quest.
This weekend I might try and go jigging for blackmouth and then try for some SRC or rezzies afterward if no luck with the pt Wilson darts. It's been really rough out there lately.

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
WFF Supporter
My Hobie was the 12' Outback and it was as heavy as I wanted. No desire to wrestle around with one that size. Of course, I should never have gotten rid of it...
The new outback isnt the "bathtub" outback of old, much more sleek and stable...def worth a look. Paired with a good cart, you should be fine unless you have severe limitations.

Krusty

Huge Erect Member
WFF Supporter
Are there enough WFF members to justify a dedicated forum? I'm not a kayaker, but am aware that many are. Just wondering......
I think the forum barely justifies a separate watercraft section. I'm an avid kayaker but IMHO it's easily served in main forum threads. In fact having kayak threads show up in the main forum (or watercraft subforum) best promotes the use of kayaks as flyfishing vehicles.

Last edited:

WildBrookie

I'd love to hear some of the fly fishing setups that some of you use when kayak fishing. I like to fish from my stand up paddleboard. Well, I mostly just paddle and bring my rod along to troll and/or cast here and there when I see fish jump. But I rarely have success. Part of this is that I'm not necessarily focusing on productive beaches and really trying to dial it in - although I do somewhat frequently see fish roll and jump. But a large part of it is I'm really not sure what the hell I'm doing. What depths should I be focusing on? What sort of habitat? (rocks, sand, structure, eelgrass beds?) And then what sort of setup - line and flies - provides me the best chance at success. Of course this depends on which specific species is being targeted - I'm thinking mostly salmon (coho) but others as well. What sort of setups do you use?

TDB

Flounder Pounder
I'd love to hear some of the fly fishing setups that some of you use when kayak fishing. I like to fish from my stand up paddleboard. Well, I mostly just paddle and bring my rod along to troll and/or cast here and there when I see fish jump. But I rarely have success. Part of this is that I'm not necessarily focusing on productive beaches and really trying to dial it in - although I do somewhat frequently see fish roll and jump. But a large part of it is I'm really not sure what the hell I'm doing. What depths should I be focusing on? What sort of habitat? (rocks, sand, structure, eelgrass beds?) And then what sort of setup - line and flies - provides me the best chance at success. Of course this depends on which specific species is being targeted - I'm thinking mostly salmon (coho) but others as well. What sort of setups do you use?
I like to troll a miyawaki popper off a floating line while paddling. Be alert for the toilet flushing sound behind you and make sure your rod is connected to the board.

chattmr

has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)
I'd love to hear some of the fly fishing setups that some of you use when kayak fishing.
What depths should I be focusing on? What sort of habitat? (rocks, sand, structure, eelgrass beds?) And then what sort of setup - line and flies - provides me the best chance at success.
What sort of setups do you use?
I am on the other side of the country, so TIFWIW, but here is a general description of how I set up by Jackson Coosa HD for fishing the marsh along the gulf coast for redfish, trout, sheepshead, etc...

- I carry a 6-weight and a heavy 8-weight. The 6 stays on the floor of the kayak when I am paddling (both sitting or standing) and the 8 is in a modified rod-holder on the left side of the boat behind the seat (left side to avoid interference with my right-handed backcast). Both have floating lines and short leaders (I am generally sight-casting in shallow water). Sometimes, I will put a sink tip or versaleader on the 8-weight to fish channels or holes.

- The holder on the right side (again, aft of the seat) has a medium-length rubber mesh landing net.

- I stow a cheap soft-side zip-top cooler half full of ice directly behind the seat (for keeping fish). Emergency supplies and a small drink cooler go behind the soft cooler.

- My boat has molded slots for fly boxes on either side of the seat, with elastic straps to secure them. I try to limit myself to two well-stocked boxes of flies. One side has streamers, the other has crab / shrimp patterns.

- My boat also has a center-console that has a tippet dispenser. It is nice, but I could easily do without it.

- I wear a "paddle clip" on a belt. This is potentially the most useful piece of equipment I have. While standing, it allows me to tuck one end of the paddle into the bungee straps on the hatch at the front of the boat, and rest the handle of the paddle in the belt clip before I bend over to pick up a rod to cast. Life-saver when sight-casting to fish. I use a DIY version that I made by carefully trimming, then heating and bending a piece of PVC pipe that I riveted to an old belt.

- Lastly, I wear an inflatable PFD that nicely fits over/around a Simms hydration pack that I fill completely full before going out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info