Favorite Shotgun

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
I hunted when I was younger. I purchased a Weatherby Orion I recently. Because Steelhead runs on the tribs of Lake Ontario have been poor this year; I will spending February in NY flushing Upland birds. What's your favorite shotgun?

Also, Do you use the feathers from birds you harvest to tie flies with? How do you preserve them and kill off bacteria and insects? I have heard putting them in the freezer will do it?!?

1578859981003.png

My new O/U.

Last edited:

Bagman

I'm a side by side guy. I took an old J Stevens side by side and made a new stock and a beaver tail for grip. Love that gun.
I've taken a road kill squirrel that was still kicking when I found him. I cut off the tail, put it in a plastic bag with lots of Borax put it in the freezer for 2 years, took it out and brushed off the Borax. I would do the same with a ring neck skin..

SawyerJones

I bought myself a cheap but classic Rem 870 in 20 gauge for grouse this last season. It was big and heavy for the application, I'm looking into the Savage 555 for next season. I cant justify spending 1000+ on a shotgun im going to drag through swamps and brush. My 870 is pretty beat up from just one season.

I have huge amounts of grouse feathers that I'll eventually tie into flies. I just make sure they are dried out real well before I put them in a storage box or bag. Never really thought about the bacteria and all.

Beautiful shotgun by the way, I really want an O/U in 20 gauge. How much did that one cost you if you dont mind me asking?

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
I bought myself a cheap but classic Rem 870 in 20 gauge for grouse this last season. It was big and heavy for the application, I'm looking into the Savage 555 for next season. I cant justify spending 1000+ on a shotgun im going to drag through swamps and brush. My 870 is pretty beat up from just one season.

I have huge amounts of grouse feathers that I'll eventually tie into flies. I just make sure they are dried out real well before I put them in a storage box or bag. Never really thought about the bacteria and all.

Beautiful shotgun by the way, I really want an O/U in 20 gauge. How much did that one cost you if you dont mind me asking?
They make a Stevens 555e O/U in 16 gauge. I was thinking of that one originally. The Weatherby was $950. Now that Japan is not making them and Turkey is... they are much less expensive.

Last edited:

Guy Gregory

There's lovely guns out there for all budgets. No matter your budget, it must, must, must fit. I fought a Browning Liege for 20 years. Couldn't hit sqaut. Not so anymore. Benelli SBE II. It ain't pretty. It works for everything. Flawlessly.

Stretch the skins on a board feathers down, cover with about 1/4 inch borax and leave for a month or two until the skin is dry. Place in ziploc, place in freezer for another couple of months. Always store in a ziploc, you're good to go. I've 15 year old pheasants in my kit.

See any bugs after the freezer? Get rid of the skin. Now.

SawyerJones

There's lovely guns out there for all budgets. No matter your budget, it must, must, must fit. I fought a Browning Liege for 20 years. Couldn't hit sqaut. Not so anymore. Benelli SBE II. It ain't pretty. It works for everything. Flawlessly.

Stretch the skins on a board feathers down, cover with about 1/4 inch borax and leave for a month or two until the skin is dry. Place in ziploc, place in freezer for another couple of months. Always store in a ziploc, you're good to go. I've 15 year old pheasants in my kit.

See any bugs after the freezer? Get rid of the skin. Now.
I've just plucked the feathers and air dried them. I've never noticed any bugs. I dont think. now im getting worried.

I haven't owned a shotgun I liked so much that I would call it my favorite upland bird shotgun -- yet. But maybe someday.

The upland shotguns I own now or have owned & hunted with previously:

-- 2018 CZ Woodcock O/U, 20 ga, 28" barrels:

Bought it new, & have really liked it. Very nicely balanced gun. Previously I had never liked the weight, balance, and feel of the CZ shotguns I had swung in a gunstore or tested on a clay range. To me they always felt unbalanced (too much weight on the barrel end), and too heavy overall. But that was 10-12 yrs ago. A guy behind the gun counter at North40 told me CZ had really upped their game on some of their shotgun models, & he handed me this one. To my surprise, it "felt" and swung a lot like the field grade 2002 Beretta Silver Pigeon I had once owned. When the North40 gun guy told me the price, I bought it. Iirc, it was $760.

-- circa 1999-2000 Ruger Red Label O/U, 20 ga, 28" barrels:

It's a few ounces heavy by today's standards, but I have always liked this gun, and I still use it for a third of my hunts. Bought it from the original owner. Iirc, I paid $900 because it was in "like new" condition at the time.

-- 1980's SKB O/U with 20, 28, & 410 ga., 28" barrels:

A good, solid over/under. I bought this gun & its 3 interchangeable barrels & SKB gun case from a friend who had bought it new & hardly used it for 25 yrs. I thought I would use the 28 ga. or .410, but I never have. I'm gonna sell this gun soon, because someone who will use the 20 and 28 ought to own it. The .410 would be good for dove hunting, too.

-- AyA SxS Matador III, 20 ga., circa 1970's, single trigger, 27" barrels:

Bought it used for $550. AyA is known as a high-end Spanish shotgun maker, but this is their inexpensive SxS model that AyA stopped making in 1985. A no frills, no engraving, utilitarian shotgun. Definitely not a wallhanger. But it handles nice, is not heavy, shoots well, and is decently balanced.

-- 2002 Beretta Silver Pigeon, field grade, 20 ga., 26" barrels:

Bought it new from Keith's Guns in Gresham for $2100. The balance and feel of a Ferrari (or what I imagine a Ferrari feels like to drive, lol). Excellent gun to metal fit. It swung really nice, and its weight was not too heavy nor too light. But...that low profile safety. I didn't perceive the safety as a problem when I bought the gun or even later when I shot it on the range. But when sub-20-degree cold weather arrived, I couldn't feel the thumb safety thru uninsulated Bob Allen gloves. I hated that. So after a couple of years, I sold the Beretta to a hunting buddy who tried it out on multiple sub-20 days & had no issues with feeling the safety.

A 20 ga. upland shotgun I have lusted after, but never have bought, & probably never will: one of those RBL .20 gauge side by sides with a case hardened finish made by Connecticut SMC:

https:\\connecticutshotgun.co/rbl-1/

Oh baby.

Last edited:

Don Shearer

Hi,

Upland: Browning Citori, 20 gauge
Waterfowl: Benelli Nova 12 gauge

My favorite method is to place skin in paper bag and microwave for 10 seconds, let cool, and repeat. I have never had any trouble. Coat skin with salt, wait a week and coat with salt again, scrape salt away and store in a ziploc. Tie flies and catch fish. Mileage may very.

My best,

Don

wetline dave

For waterfowl and mixed bag hunting I prefer my Remington 1100 special field with English stock and 24" barrel. Nicely balanced for an auto loader and the action is flawless. A fast swinging sotgun with the short barrel.

For strictly upland game hunting I take my inexpensive O/U out. Comes in a little over 7 lbs. Has the barrels opened up to handle steel loads. Though it will handle 3" shells but you better really want to pull trigger to shoot them. It is Italian made in Bresica and identical to the old Savage 440 of the late 70's.

Dave

theleo91386

I guess I've got a couple of answers to this:

The shotgun that best fits me for shooting upland is a Beretta Silver Hawk SXS 12ga. 26" barrels, fixed M & F, single trigger, no select, and it just has a tendency more than any other shotgun I've had my hands on to hit birds, but man do I hate it shooting trap with it.

For grouse though, I use a Mossberg 500 .410. I don't have a dog to use and I'm an unapologetic ground slouser. A fixed full choke with a double bead has always done well for me on decapitating grouse and has seemed to do alright nocking them out of the air at the ranges I bump into them most often. 12's and 20's have always done more damage to the meat than I like.

Still waiting for the convergence of money and opportunity to happen so I can get a nice Belgian Sweet 16 and have a new favorite shotgun.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts