Favorite Shotgun

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
For feathers / capes, the big problem is with dermestids (dermestidae), also know as carpet beetles. They like everything dead, including feathers. The freezer does help if you find them but doesn’t prevent them, they can come back anytime. They also have a very distinct odor and leave little “exoskeletons”. They are great, if contained, in cleaning up skeletons - pick them clean.
I would think that borax would help.

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
For feathers / capes, the big problem is with dermestids (dermestidae), also know as carpet beetles. They like everything dead, including feathers. The freezer does help if you find them but doesn’t prevent them, they can come back anytime. They also have a very distinct odor and leave little “exoskeletons”. They are great, if contained, in cleaning up skeletons - pick them clean.
I would think that borax would help.
Yeah, I definitely will not use any feathers from birds I harvest. After your post I have decided its not worth the risk.

802flyfish

I’m in the market for my first shotgun. Been looking at CZ Drake, Remington V3 & SX4 Winchester. Too many options!

I have an old left handed Remington 1100 12 gauge I really love. Shot a lot of grouse and quail with it. Picked up a CZ Woodcock 20 gauge around the holidays for super cheap on sales. So far I really like it. Haven’t shot any birds with it yet.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
You might consider buying a used shot gun, if you don't like it trade it for another style or model, with out losing a bunch of money. Go to the range shoot some trap to get familiar with it, I would also suggest shooting "low gun" when you call 'pull'. Don't invest a lot of money till you've gained some experience. The gun that works best for me might not be the best for you.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Auto loader: 12ga Beretta Exrema II, only for ducks and geese, ( no longer own it.)
12 ga Beretta Oynx: ducks and ducks, (no longer own it)
RBL 20ga for upland game
Browning Ultra 28ga for quail, doves
Browning 425 (The Canon) 20 ga. If I can’t hit anything with the other 20 ga or the 28 ga.

How about dem LSU Tigeauxs!!

802flyfish

I haven't owned a shotgun I liked so much that I would call it my favorite upland bird shotgun -- yet. But maybe someday.

The upland shotguns I own now or have owned & hunted with previously:

-- 2018 CZ Woodcock O/U, 20 ga, 28" barrels:

Bought it new, & have really liked it. Very nicely balanced gun. Previously I had never liked the weight, balance, and feel of the CZ shotguns I had swung in a gunstore or tested on a clay range. To me they always felt unbalanced (too much weight on the barrel end), and too heavy overall. But that was 10-12 yrs ago. A guy behind the gun counter at North40 told me CZ had really upped their game on some of their shotgun models, & he handed me this one. To my surprise, it "felt" and swung a lot like the field grade 2002 Beretta Silver Pigeon I had once owned. When the North40 gun guy told me the price, I bought it. Iirc, it was $760.

-- circa 1999-2000 Ruger Red Label O/U, 20 ga, 28" barrels:

It's a few ounces heavy by today's standards, but I have always liked this gun, and I still use it for a third of my hunts. Bought it from the original owner. Iirc, I paid $900 because it was in "like new" condition at the time.

-- 1980's SKB O/U with 20, 28, & 410 ga., 28" barrels:

A good, solid over/under. I bought this gun & its 3 interchangeable barrels & SKB gun case from a friend who had bought it new & hardly used it for 25 yrs. I thought I would use the 28 ga. or .410, but I never have. I'm gonna sell this gun soon, because someone who will use the 20 and 28 ought to own it. The .410 would be good for dove hunting, too.

-- AyA SxS Matador III, 20 ga., circa 1970's, single trigger, 27" barrels:

Bought it used for $550. AyA is known as a high-end Spanish shotgun maker, but this is their inexpensive SxS model that AyA stopped making in 1985. A no frills, no engraving, utilitarian shotgun. Definitely not a wallhanger. But it handles nice, is not heavy, shoots well, and is decently balanced.

-- 2002 Beretta Silver Pigeon, field grade, 20 ga., 26" barrels:

Bought it new from Keith's Guns in Gresham for $2100. The balance and feel of a Ferrari (or what I imagine a Ferrari feels like to drive, lol). Excellent gun to metal fit. It swung really nice, and its weight was not too heavy nor too light. But...that low profile safety. I didn't perceive the safety as a problem when I bought the gun or even later when I shot it on the range. But when sub-20-degree cold weather arrived, I couldn't feel the thumb safety thru uninsulated Bob Allen gloves. I hated that. So after a couple of years, I sold the Beretta to a hunting buddy who tried it out on multiple sub-20 days & had no issues with feeling the safety.

A 20 ga. upland shotgun I have lusted after, but never have bought, & probably never will: one of those RBL .20 gauge side by sides with a case hardened finish made by Connecticut SMC:

https:\\connecticutshotgun.co/rbl-1/

Oh baby.
I’m torn between the Silver pigeon 1 and the new CZ Redhead All Terrain. Hard to justify the Silver Pigeon, when you can get a top of the line CZ O/U and a Remington V3 Water fowl Pro for the price of the Silver Pigeon.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I'm a pump gun fan. 870 Remington in 12 gauge, 3" chamber.
It works for everything that flies, from light to heavy loads.
Keep it clean and lightly oiled, it will last a life time and then some.
O ya and it fits me. 19 out of 20 on clay
As for bird skins.
It won't take long and you will have more feathers than ya know what to do with.
I use borax and then keep in freezer. Just take what yer gonna use out of the freezer for an hour or so, then tie'em up

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
Let's see now:
Upland, Browning Superlight 20
Long time gun Browning Citori 12
Current meat gun New Browning A5
Also 870 my dad gave me in 1967; Wards side by side 20, my first gun; Browning Gold 12;
Mossberg Ultimag; Beneli Nova; and a Silver Pigeon 12.
A bunch of these were won at DU events.
Picture from this morning:
Ducks 1-20-20.jpg

matchu865

WFF Supporter
Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I 32” - shooting sporting clays. It’s an awesome fun that I shoot well, but would be kinda heavy and long for upland hunting.

Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus 30” - has been my duck hunting gun this year. Recoil reduction is unbelievable. Makes 3 1/2” steel loads feel like clay loads and it cycles target loads well. Once duck season ends I’ll mess with the shims to get the cast just right but I shoot it okay out of the box.

Thinking of picking up either a semi-auto or o/u 20 gauge for upland and trips to the range with my GF but haven’t figured out what I want yet. A used 686 or Citori would be ideal but it’s a lot of $$$.

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I 32” - shooting sporting clays. It’s an awesome fun that I shoot well, but would be kinda heavy and long for upland hunting.

Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus 30” - has been my duck hunting gun this year. Recoil reduction is unbelievable. Makes 3 1/2” steel loads feel like clay loads and it cycles target loads well. Once duck season ends I’ll mess with the shims to get the cast just right but I shoot it okay out of the box.

Thinking of picking up either a semi-auto or o/u 20 gauge for upland and trips to the range with my GF but haven’t figured out what I want yet. A used 686 or Citori would be ideal but it’s a lot of $$$.
I went through the learning curve on the new A5. I shot really poorly out of the box. Then read the manual (does that make me less of a man?) and learned about all the stock adjustments. OMG, what a difference. Now fooling with chokes and some of the new non-toxic loads. On the picture above day, shot five times for seven birds. Took two to clean kill a drake, and the dog found three cripples! Which is why I always hunt with my well trained dog Kali.

Last edited:

Meeshka

Upland: 12 ga Franchi Field Grade O/U ( dad bought me this for my 13 birthday - I'm 60 )
20 ga Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U
410 ga Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U
Migratory: 12 ga, 3" mag, Remmington 1100 ( I have 2 ) These guns are great if you know how to keep them clean. And they must be kept clean or they jam.

Various other older shotguns willed down to me in 12 and 410 ga that I just store in my safe.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock