Favorite Shotgun

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
Shoot adequately with a pair of Citoris, both with 26" barrels. Both bought used. Got the 20 at a gun show- it showed absolutely no sign of ever being fired.

12 ga is a Lightening
20 ga- the damn airlines scratched up the wood on it.

Didn't take either one for a walk last season and feel ashamed.

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
I went through the learning curve on the new A5. I shot really poorly out of the box. Then read the manual (does that make less of a man?) and learned about all the stock adjustments. OMG, what a difference. Now fooling with chokes and some of the new non-toxic loads. On the picture above day, shot five times for seven birds. Took two to clean kill a drake, and the dog found three cripples! Which is why I always hunt with my well trained dog Kali.
its always good to read the manual.

Hem

How can you have one favorite shotgun?

My Franchi Veloce for Upland.
Remington Sportsman 11-87 with light contour barrel for Turkey.
Remington 11-87 for waterfowl.
Savage o/u ( 22 mag/ .410) for yard pests.

.....and a few others depending on my mood

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
My first shotgun was a 12 gauge Lanber for 600$ Excellent gun, but a little heavy to carry around all day. So when hunting I use a Beretta Silver Pigeon I in 20 gauge

gt

Field grade, 26" barrels, Browning, Belgian made, O/U in 12ga. wish i could find a field grade in 28ga for quail and small upland birds.

and sure i use the feathers. when you skin your birds, use corn meal on the hide to dry it out. you can wash the entire skin using mild dish soap, lay out to dry and done. i worked for an ornithologist preparing specimens and that is what we did.

Furled

For those on a budget, I have a Stoeger Condor, O/U 20 gauge. I bought it new for under $400 (there was a manufacturer rebate). I've shot turkey, ducks, pheasant, and grouse with it. Someday I'll buy a Citori, but for now my Stoeger gets the job done.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Field grade, 26" barrels, Browning, Belgian made, O/U in 12ga. wish i could find a field grade in 28ga for quail and small upland birds.

and sure i use the feathers. when you skin your birds, use corn meal on the hide to dry it out. you can wash the entire skin using mild dish soap, lay out to dry and done. i worked for an ornithologist preparing specimens and that is what we did.
Have you looked on "Guns International" for that Belgian Browning?

D3Smartie

I hunted when I was younger. I purchased a Weatherby Orion I recently. Because Steelhead runs on the tribs of Lake Ontario have been poor this year; I will spending February in NY flushing Upland birds. What's your favorite shotgun?

Also, Do you use the feathers from birds you harvest to tie flies with? How do you preserve them and kill off bacteria and insects? I have heard putting them in the freezer will do it?!?

View attachment 223164

My new O/U.

I shoot a lot of birds with my old pump guns. When i am feeling fancy I'll bust out the O/Us in either 28 (charles daly by Miroku) or 20 (silver pigeon) and chase some quail or pheasants. I wore out a 12ga BPS that i loved, and replaced it with an XCS 870 which gives me more protection in the salt water. Ended up getting a 20ga BPS for fair weather ducks and chukars. Great gun.
Borax seems to work great for me in preserving feathers and killing off the bugs. I also keep some mothballs and bug deterrent in my material drawers.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
I have a number of shotguns, some well suited to upland bird shooting and some not so much.. The not to so well guns are, 2 Perazzi O/U guns a MX2000 and a MX8. Both of these guns each have a full set of subgauge tubes in 20 ga, 28, and 410 and they weigh over 10 pounds. I also have a Winchester SX! semi auto that is a good peasant gun but it was purchased for skeet doubles. I also have 2 Remington 20 gauge 1100's, one on a 12 gauge frame and one on a 20 gauge frame, and a 1100 410 gauge which is a great quail/hun gun as is the standard 20 gauge. I also have a Miroku Daly 20 ga o/u that is a hunting gun, 26" barrels and a nice carry. I also have 3 side by sides, my favorite gun being in this group. It is a Francotte 12 ga choked improved cyl and mod. I also have a Galand that I believe was made in Holland and has a Miller single trigger. Probably the best trigger ever made for a shotgun. The last one is a work in progress that I picked up years ago "Accurate Reloading" when I asked for a total fixer upper. It is a Pierre Gosuin and is a Belgium "guild" gun. These last 2 guns are 12 ga guns and both of them are chocked full and ridiculously full. They will both end up being impr cyl and mod. The Gosuin will have a straight stock with a skeleton butt plate.

I joined this site about 7 years ago after running into Roper on a shogun site while both of us were searching for 28 ga hulls for reloading. He was very kind to split a fairly large pile of Winchester AA 28's with me. One day I will meet him face to face. I looked for him at the fishing show in Linwood but no luck.

Oh yeah, 20 mule team Borax.

Last edited:

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
Have you looked on "Guns International" for that Belgian Browning?
The 28 Ga Superposed (Belgian made) is by far the rarest of all of the different Superposed guns and the price is accordingly sky high. Skilled gunsmiths made 28's fakes on 20 gauge frames at times. If you want a lighter gun for hunting you are best off looking for a 20 gauge.

The 28 gauge from 1964 to 1977 production was as follows, 714 hunting guns with 28" barrels, 1162 Skeet guns, 178 Special order guns and 842 hunting guns with 26.5" barrels.

In 20 gauge production during the same time frame it was 17,330 hunting guns with 26.5', 9440, 28" barrels, 4749 skeet guns, 1,011 Superlight 20's..

Last edited:

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
I was quite surprised when I sold my 12 ga. Superposed that the 20 ga. was more in demand. Opposite of the market when I bought the 12. I had a late 50's 12ga. Superposed that was smaller at the grip, may be a little smaller wood over all. I ruined that gun, re-chambered to 3", big, big mistake. I bought another Superpose that had the stock re-done by Bill McGuire who was at the real Eddie Bauer at the time. A beautiful gun, super wood. My hunting partner had a Superposed with a salt wood stock. We saw the president of Browning at RMEF Elk Camp, we knew him when he was a Browning salesman, he said "send it to me with a note". Returned about 6 months later with the nicest wood I've seen on a Browning, even the fancier grades. Good products, good service, good connections, good memories.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts