Wading Staffs

PhilR

WFF Supporter
I understand the desire for collapsability, but I've found that a goodwill ski pole makes for a great wading staff and walking stick. It's great for scrambling in the mud and logs on the way to the steelhead river, or climbing the steep banks of the Deschutes access road. Plus, it's always available to pound on the ground to let the snakes know I'm coming. And, it's cheap.

I switched from using a home-made wooden staff to a Simms. It is foldable and doesn't come apart of it gets stuck between rocks, or refuse to come apart if it gets jammed. I like it a lot.

doublebluff

Go Beavs
I found a hardwood staff under the snow in a riverside parking lot a few years ago. I drove over it three times before I realized it was there, so I knew it was tough! It has been my wading staff ever since.

castsN2trees

I bought a custom made wading staff from WFFF member herkileez..... it’s awesome.... previously I had used a stick that I modified and notched for every fish I caught.... but I ran out of room for notches, and it was a little too short.... then I bought a wading staff from a local fly shop.... broke it in less than 60 days...

im very happy with the staff herkileez made and wouldn’t consider buying anything different...
View attachment 9A9E09E2-E4A1-4CB9-B2BA-DFB9B2184E78.MOV

Milt Roe

Seems like there is almost always a sturdy stick handy if you need one. Carrying a staff just seems like more crap to haul around, just my opinion after 40+ years working in and around rivers and streams.

JM

I ended up drilling a cross hole through the shaft and tip and installing a counter sunk rivet to hold it in place about 3yrs ago. When the bungee broke on this folding staff many years ago i made it a solid shaft by riveting all the sections together. At almost 70 i use my staff as a walking stick as well as for wadeing. A once piece staff does not come apart when you stick it into soft mud.

cmann886

in the classified section there is a thread that you should check out. A gentleman makes custom wading staffs, quite reasonable price, and very sturdy. A few on the forum have bought and been very happy with them.
I am one of many who has one and am very impressed with it. When I am doing aggressive wading that is the one that I take. I have made do with ski poles, trekking poles, a fiberglass shovel handle, and an affordable "fold staff". I don't remember what brand I picked up. So far I have had a ski pole bend in the middle and scare the crap out of me. I have had a trekking pole collapse and put me in the drink. The affordable fold staff works well and is light. However, it also is very wobbly when in much current. It is hard to put in the neoprene holster when hands start to get cold and wet. The fiberglass shovel handle that has a trekking pole tip glued into the end works very well. However that long of a wading staff has some disadvantages while fishing and it is on the end of a 6' tether. I also like having a better handle to hold on to.

The only downside to the custom staff is it is a good idea to carry a spare rubber tip. I wore one out after a 3-day trip that involved a lot of walking and very aggressive wading. I would not have waded where I did with any other of my wading aids, except the shovel handle.The rubber tip is much quieter and I have not had any issues with it slipping.

Last edited:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I'm new to the wading staff culture. Guess I fought for a while cause that's an "old" person thing.
CwKsGlki_o.gif

But I gotta say, it is a game changer. Obviously it helps with stability, but it really is nice just to just have something to lean on during longer sessions. I think it makes a noticeable difference in my stamina.

Plus I look steezy when leaning on it and give a casual wave as a drifter floats by.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I'm new to the wading staff culture. Guess I fought for a while cause that's an "old" person thing.
CwKsGlki_o.gif

But I gotta say, it is a game changer. Obviously it helps with stability, but it really is nice just to just have something to lean on during longer sessions. I think it makes a noticeable difference in my stamina.

Plus I look steezy when leaning on it and give a casual wave as a drifter floats by.
+1 to the stability and stamina.

RE: the "sleezy", as @JACKspASS noted, learn some cool dance moves to put on 'em.

SquatchinSince86

My current model is an old broom handle with a paracord wrap for a grip, a carabiner to clip it on to my belt. I screwed an aluminum hex screw into the bottom for grip in river rock. Pretty sturdy, I could use it as a defense against briars, devils club, and nettle patches.

Whatever you decide to get, use it! I'm still rehabbing from a serious knee injury suffered last summer while wading with my staff folded up in its holster on my waist belt. I've always been a strong wader and have never had any indication that I was prone to the sort of injury I experienced (indeed the Orthopedist says I'm not 'prone' just that it can happen to anyone). I didn't have my staff out, because I figured I would just use it when I needed it. HA!

cms829

I've begun having left inner knee pain (knee surgeries run in the family). Up until now I thought I was immune. Im 36 and had been in the masonry/tile industry for a while. I guess Im finally starting to pay for it. I just got a folding staff and a retractor to use on the big rivers. My only honest forseeable issue with it is while casting my spey rod. I feel like its just another thing for my running line to get wrapped up in. I havent been out to use it yet. Do any of you find that it is a pain while wading and some running line out?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info