Wading Staffs

herkileez

WFF Supporter
I've begun having left inner knee pain (knee surgeries run in the family). Up until now I thought I was immune. Im 36 and had been in the masonry/tile industry for a while. I guess Im finally starting to pay for it. I just got a folding staff and a retractor to use on the big rivers. My only honest forseeable issue with it is while casting my spey rod. I feel like its just another thing for my running line to get wrapped up in. I havent been out to use it yet. Do any of you find that it is a pain while wading and some running line out?QUOTE]

I lock the retractor with the grip at my hip, the staff dangling behind me...never has been an issue with my running line hanging up.
Re: your knee...Look into getting a Durolane injection in your knee...just had mine done...huge help.

JACKspASS

The fly fishing world is totally ready for custom wading staffs. Any size, shape, design, decals, glo in dark, alarms for wading too deep, etc.... @Swimmy ?

Pescaphile

I used a wading staff when I fished the Thompson and some rather nasty island streams in SE Alaska. I have both a Folstaff and a Simms model -both worked well. The Simms is more durable and the sections are not prone to becoming stuck together like the Folstaff. I preferred the Folstaff though for wading because its cork handle and larger diameter tubing would float the staff downstream of me on its tether out of the way while I fished but was right there when I needed it. I think waxing the furrules helped with this. The Simms staff sinks and could get tangled in your feet if you were not careful.

cmann886

I've begun having left inner knee pain (knee surgeries run in the family). Up until now I thought I was immune. Im 36 and had been in the masonry/tile industry for a while. I guess Im finally starting to pay for it. I just got a folding staff and a retractor to use on the big rivers. My only honest forseeable issue with it is while casting my spey rod. I feel like its just another thing for my running line to get wrapped up in. I havent been out to use it yet. Do any of you find that it is a pain while wading and some running line out?

No, not even when I have the staff out and floating and I have running line out at the same time. It does occasionally need some attention, but not any more than anything else the running line can tangle with.

The other advantage to having a wading staff is that you can move much faster to get where you want to get.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts