2020 Skagit steelhead season

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
Make Skagit/Sauk fly only for future seasons?? Probably an unpopular opinion but I say it only because fly anglers will have less encounters with steelhead (unless it’s @GOTY ) and are definitely better at handling steelhead than the gear chuckers. I say this as a fly fisherman and gear fisherman. Gear fisherman are bad at handling fish. Do catch more fish. And therefore have a much bigger mortality impact. Prime example of this is the last report from the Sauk on Northwest idiots reports from a season or two ago. Beautiful steelhead with its face all mangled from a treble, dragged up on the rocks and out of the water for the hero shot. Just a thought of mine to stir the pot. I think the system could do without 6” pink worms with a bead trailer being bobber dogged through every run.

Jakob

Also it’s very convenient that the run is 47 fish short of allowing a season. Better safe than sorry though.

winxp_man

Steelhead Bum
Make Skagit/Sauk fly only for future seasons?? Probably an unpopular opinion but I say it only because fly anglers will have less encounters with steelhead (unless it’s @GOTY ) and are definitely better at handling steelhead than the gear chuckers. I say this as a fly fisherman and gear fisherman. Gear fisherman are bad at handling fish. Do catch more fish. And therefore have a much bigger mortality impact. Prime example of this is the last report from the Sauk on Northwest idiots reports from a season or two ago. Beautiful steelhead with its face all mangled from a treble, dragged up on the rocks and out of the water for the hero shot. Just a thought of mine to stir the pot. I think the system could do without 6” pink worms with a bead trailer being bobber dogged through every run.

Jakob

Also it’s very convenient that the run is 47 fish short of allowing a season. Better safe than sorry though.
Swing only, debarred hooks. And it is a fact a swing guy will get into less fish.

Charles Sullivan

Jakob

Possibly the single easiest and surefire way to get no support for a season.

Go Sox,
cds

Charles Sullivan

Just so you all get it, we came no where near our allowed impact last year. Not in the ballpark. Impacts and encounter rates are not the issue. We can not have any positive effect on runs through the sportfishing rulebook. none, zero, zilch, nada. Nothing. Can't be done. Stupid idea.

The runs that are not showing up this year were not fished for.

Low summer flows have nothing to do with pink worms, or trebles.

Go Sox,
cds

bhilton

Does the low run forecast affect the allowable impacts from netting? Would treaty fishers still get 10% like last year or is it somehow different?

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I know plenty of gear fishermen that handle fish properly, and see plenty of fly fishermen taking their sweet time with hero shot photo ops. It isn't constructive to bash the way certain people fish in such a broad sense. We can talk about the effectiveness of certain methods of fishing and poor fish handling all day long but there are certainly much bigger issues.

Jakob B

Possibly the single easiest and surefire way to get no support for a season.

Go Sox,
cds
That’s why I said it was likely an unpopular opinion... plenty of stakeholders are gear fishermen. It would be more ideal for fish survival though, there are some fly only rivers for a reason.

Charles Sullivan

That’s why I said it was likely an unpopular opinion... plenty of stakeholders are gear fishermen. It would be more ideal for fish survival though, there are some fly only rivers for a reason.
I contend that it will do jack fucking squat for fish. I can not think of 1 scenario where improvements in fish returns can be attributed to a change in the sportfishing rulebook. None. You are not going to find it.

Your using a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I really have no idea why people continue to harp on miniscule C&R impacts when they just really don't matter. It hurts my head.

Go Sox,
cds

Jakob B

I know plenty of gear fishermen that handle fish properly, and see plenty of fly fishermen taking their sweet time with hero shot photo ops. It isn't constructive to bash the way certain people fish in such a broad sense. We can talk about the effectiveness of certain methods of fishing and poor fish handling all day long but there are certainly much bigger issues.
Yeah I know there is fly fishermen who are awful about it and I do know some gear fishermen who are very good with it but my generalization is accurate. Have you seen the report I’m taking about. Or any of the posts on the FB groups in Washington. Dudes holding wild summer runs by the gills they catch when fishing fall salmon. I’m not saying fly anglers are perfect but come on, of the masses of gear fishermen there are plenty of ignorant people and morons when it comes to impact and fish handling.

Obviously there are bigger issues than fish handling and mortality impact but if we’re going to talk about limiting our human population, pinniped predation, logging, destruction of river deltas and estuaries in regards to anadromous fish. Then why can’t we talk about a way we directly impact fish in the final step of their journey. Just saying...

Obviously a multifaceted issue but it’s still a relatively true generalization and a valid idea to discuss what a fly only fishery would look like.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts