2020 Skagit steelhead season

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
I contend that it will do jack fucking squat for fish. I can not think of 1 scenario where improvements in fish returns can be attributed to a change in the sportfishing rulebook. None. You are not going to find it.

Your using a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I really have no idea why people continue to harp on miniscule C&R impacts when they just really don't matter. It hurts my head.

Go Sox,
cds
Fair enough. I get what you’re saying better now. I was more coming from the fact that I think it’s ridiculous that they must calculate 10% of the fish caught will die and that that calculation directly effects if there is a season or not. When in reality we know that number is lower. I think that number can be effected by our actions when we encounter fish towards the end of their migration.

Is that going to effect the escapement in the future more than snowpack or ocean conditions probably not now that I think about it but if every fish caught was dragged up on the rocks and held out of the water when it’s that close to finishing the job and spawning then I think it would but it’s true that is obviously not the case.

Lots of people did get triggered this fall on this very sub forum when they saw some fall steelhead caught with barbed hooks and were being held out of the water so I don’t see why it’s not fair to talk about our direct impact even though there are other prominent issues at hand we can’t just solve one and expect a result. Obviously multiple solutions is better.

Scudley Do Right

Make Skagit/Sauk fly only for future seasons?? Probably an unpopular opinion but I say it only because fly anglers will have less encounters with steelhead (unless it’s @GOTY ) and are definitely better at handling steelhead than the gear chuckers. I say this as a fly fisherman and gear fisherman. Gear fisherman are bad at handling fish. Do catch more fish. And therefore have a much bigger mortality impact. Prime example of this is the last report from the Sauk on Northwest idiots reports from a season or two ago. Beautiful steelhead with its face all mangled from a treble, dragged up on the rocks and out of the water for the hero shot. Just a thought of mine to stir the pot. I think the system could do without 6” pink worms with a bead trailer being bobber dogged through every run.

Jakob

Also it’s very convenient that the run is 47 fish short of allowing a season. Better safe than sorry though.
I wouldn't use the WA Lakes crowd as your sample for all gear fisherman.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Fair enough. I get what you’re saying better now. I was more coming from the fact that I think it’s ridiculous that they must calculate 10% of the fish caught will die and that that calculation directly effects if there is a season or not. When in reality we know that number is lower. I think that number can be effected by our actions when we encounter fish towards the end of their migration.

Is that going to effect the escapement in the future more than snowpack or ocean conditions probably not now that I think about it but if every fish caught was dragged up on the rocks and held out of the water when it’s that close to finishing the job and spawning then I think it would but it’s true that is obviously not the case.

Lots of people did get triggered this fall on this very sub forum when they saw some fall steelhead caught with barbed hooks and were being held out of the water so I don’t see why it’s not fair to talk about our direct impact even though there are other prominent issues at hand we can’t just solve one and expect a result. Obviously multiple solutions is better.
The 10% number is a made up conservative number. No matter what you do to the actual mortality figure, it will not change the made up 10% number.

I get frustrated at the arguments because it all matters. If we concern ourselves with the rule book to find solutions, all we do is expend energy in the wrong direction. That is bad for the fish.

The low runs this year had nothing to do with sport fishing or sport fishing impacts, the solution will not be found by looking at sport fishing or sport fishing impacts.

The same goes for all the other runs. There are simply no answers to be found in that sport fishing rule book.

Go Sox,
cds

JACKspASS

Let's make it fly fishing only, then as runs continue to collapse we can blame indicator and bead fisherman, and when we get them banned, we can go after fishing out of boats, and then we can ban the color pink, and as runs continue to fall, we go after > 250 grain tips..... Hookless flies didn't go over well in the Elwha thread and I don't suspect it will here either :p

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Let's make it fly fishing only, then as runs continue to collapse we can blame indicator and bead fisherman, and when we get them banned, we can go after fishing out of boats, and then we can ban the color pink, and as runs continue to fall, we go after > 250 grain tips..... Hookless flies didn't go over well in the Elwha thread and I don't suspect it will here either :p
This is just silly. Everybody knows beads under an indicator isn’t fly fishing. :p

Super bummed I didn’t get up there last year. Hope I get another chance someday. It already sucks to drive along the Thompson.

I’m interested in the NA take as well

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Make Skagit/Sauk fly only for future seasons?? Probably an unpopular opinion but I say it only because fly anglers will have less encounters with steelhead (unless it’s @GOTY ) and are definitely better at handling steelhead than the gear chuckers. I say this as a fly fisherman and gear fisherman. Gear fisherman are bad at handling fish. Do catch more fish. And therefore have a much bigger mortality impact. Prime example of this is the last report from the Sauk on Northwest idiots reports from a season or two ago. Beautiful steelhead with its face all mangled from a treble, dragged up on the rocks and out of the water for the hero shot. Just a thought of mine to stir the pot. I think the system could do without 6” pink worms with a bead trailer being bobber dogged through every run.

Jakob

Also it’s very convenient that the run is 47 fish short of allowing a season. Better safe than sorry though.

Sorry but this post is ridiculous.

And part of the problem within the sport fishing community. Blame it on the gear guys! They handle fish poorly. Give me a break. There are many, many gear fisherman who are insanely passionate about these fish, and this fishery, and many of them have been carefully releasing fish longer than you've known what a spey rod is.

Spending a bunch of money at a fly shop doesn't magically make one a better sportsman and handler of fish. I've seen FAR more fly fisherman over play fish because they have no idea what they are doing than I've seen gear fisherman do the same.

The system doesnt need 6" Intruders any more than it needs pink worms.

Neither is the problem here. The sooner you realize this the better off you'll be.

Alienating one part of the sport fishing community will have zero positive result here.

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
Well that was poorly received and not a well thought out idea in my head. Forgive me for hijacking the thread and making an ass of myself.

I was thinking more about sportsmen impact (though it is smaller when compared to ocean conditions and other issues) than making solutions based on what the regulation pamphlet says is or isn’t open or re hash any gear vs. fly guys debate.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I was thinking more about sportsmen impact
If you want to do yourself a favor, understand this: the sportfishing impact on the steelhead population abundance equals zero! That is different than the impact to some individual fish, but overall sportfishing and treaty tribal fishing on the Skagit steelhead population abundance has been exactly zero. So driving wedges between differences in users is counter-productive.

ChaseBallard

bushwhacker
We had the funding for this year only.
Yep. And to operate and monitor the fishery under the NMFS permit in the future when/if runs improve, WDFW needs more stable, sufficient funding, which Wild Steelhead Coalition supports via more money from the state's General Fund.

The system since 2008 of WDFW having to go to the legislature every year asking for money to fund basic services and opportunities, let alone improved programs and new conservation efforts, does not work. And puts too much reliance on unreliable license sales.

Last edited:

JACKspASS

There’s more dopers than steelhead. Heck, there’s talk of closing salmon fishing on the mainstem of the Umpqua
Short, simple, and effective. Sometimes i think I try too hard. Leaving wolves, Bigfoot, and tweakers out is damn hard to do.

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Well that was poorly received and not a well thought out idea in my head. Forgive me for hijacking the thread and making an ass of myself.
Don't beat yourself up, part of your post was incredibly well thought out and one of the few indisputable hard facts to be posted in this thread:
fly anglers will have less encounters with steelhead (unless it’s @GOTY ).

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts