Montana fishing access sites mapped

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter

interesting and potentially useful, when the ice melts!

J
These places are marked on most maps of Montana. I have where I fish in my head. I just have to think about where to go and a Access site pops up.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Nice post. It would be a cool journey to catch a fish at every one of those access points.

Wait, I should do that.

silvercreek

WFF Supporter
Bear in mind that for this map, "fishing sites" equals boat launches.
For clarification, this is not quite true. For example $3 Bridge on the Madison is a popular fishing access site that has no boat launch. Neither does the Varney Bridge Access site.

Google Earth View of $3 Bridge

Google Earth View of Varney Bridge

One unique thing about the Madison is that it is the only hydroelectric dam controlled river in Montana that is controlled for fishing and not for power generation. Water releases from Hebgen Dam are designed to keep the temperatures flows in the Madison to preserve the trout populations.

Although there are float boats on the upper Madison below Quake Lake, fishing from the boats is not allowed until the boat gets below McAtee Bridge so the upper Madison is wade fishing only.

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
Silvercreek is correct- quite a few of the MTFW&P Fishing Access Sites don't have boat launches.

It's my understanding that one reason TU took the effort to prepare this map is to locate spots on State and Federally administered lands where new launches could distribute fishing pressure. The map legend highlights these.

creekx

spent spinner
Although there are float boats on the upper Madison below Quake Lake, fishing from the boats is not allowed until the boat gets below McAtee Bridge so the upper Madison is wade fishing only.
From Lyons Bridge downstream is where fishing from a boat starts.

MT_Flyfisher

Quite a few of these sites do not have boat launches, and of those that do , some are difficult to access. Plus, even with this map you might have trouble finding specific sites (for example, not all accesses are clearly marked with signs, or are on one side of a river or another).

I was also happy to see that one of my favorite fishing accesses on the Yellowstone River, owned by Montana’s FWP, is not shown on the TU map.

John

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
WFF Supporter
This map may convince me to buy a state license,normally I ‘m happy with a Yellowstone park permit but knowing where I can fish on the way may broaden my opportunities

For clarification, this is not quite true. For example $3 Bridge on the Madison is a popular fishing access site that has no boat launch. Neither does the Varney Bridge Access site.

Google Earth View of $3 Bridge

Google Earth View of Varney Bridge

One unique thing about the Madison is that it is the only hydroelectric dam controlled river in Montana that is controlled for fishing and not for power generation. Water releases from Hebgen Dam are designed to keep the temperatures flows in the Madison to preserve the trout populations.

Thanks, silvercreek. I stand corrected.

However, I looked at the rivers I know well and I only see access sites noted where there are launches. Streams with excellent public access, but few launches, appear to have relatively little access on this map (e.g., Rock Creek has a single access point noted), while others that flow mainly through private land and where public access is possible only at bridges, or hwy rights of way, or even at state arranged recreation easements do not have those access points noted on this map (for reasons having to do with spreading information on the internet, I don't want to identify any of these here, but if you know Montana rivers well, you will be able to find plenty of such streams). So, maybe they aren't all launch sites, but the map seems mostly designed to support the float angler, not the wade angler who most often will avoid launch access sites.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info