Shanks

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I saw these on another site and I thought this a pretty great idea.
These allow you to change the tail end of an articulated pattern on the shank.
They are from Firehole Outdoors.

I can think of some pretty cool stuff you could do with these.
I have no associate with them but like when folks come up with new things we can use in our tying.
SF

7E72BA87-497F-419D-BCC2-0CFC2B4D1BF6.jpeg D1AF51C7-C74B-47B3-A5D4-93622A7D8D7F.jpeg

Stonefish

Correct Nick,
Similar to the quick change snaps some folks use for lures or flies.

I'd say closing them with thread would always be an option as well.
SF

GOTY

6x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Any idea how stout they are? Wonder if they will bend out or more likely if the hook will slide out if the fish runs the wrong direction.

The concept reminds me of stacking tube flies, pretty interesting.

Stonefish

I’m going to order some and pull on some faces.
I’ll let you know if they open up, which I don’t think they will. You’ve got to live on the edge. :)
Here is the description off their site.
SF

The AS1 & AS2 are identical in form and function. Both are formed from stainless steel wire.

AS1 utilizes 0.9 mm wire and is suggested for hooks #6 and larger.
AS2 utilizes 0.8 mm wire and is suggested for hooks #6 and smaller.
Manufactured in the same manner as a stainless steel hook. Equally as strong as any hook of comparable wire size.
Both are available in four lengths; 0.75", 1.0", 1.5", and 2.25".
Note: There is no industry standard for hook eye sizes. I present these suggestions after measuring many streamer hooks from most manufacturers. You may find that the suggested hook size may change based on the hook manufacturer that you use.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
WFF Supporter
This is a very common technique with big pike/bass/musky flies to attach wiggle tails. Generally the wire clip is just to snap the interchangeable tails to, and not support the hook and weight of the fish. I'll be tying some up for my April Clear Lake, CA trip in the next couple months and will post a couple.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock