Fish Cat for Solo Use

Old406Kid

@cdnred, that information helps.
Due to your limited storage at home and portability needs I along with Ive, Kilchis, and others, would
recommend a frameless pontoon. There's ways to add an electric motor if you ever feel the need and the smallest that you can find would easily move it.

Good luck on your decision.

cdnred

Due to your limited storage at home and portability needs I along with Ive, Kilchis, and others, would
recommend a frameless pontoon. There's ways to add an electric motor if you ever feel the need and the smallest that you can find would easily move it.

That's what I'm kinda leaning towards getting, it sounds like just what I need. Light, small and easy to assemble. Haggis57 pm'd me with a slick idea for a motor mount in case that wasn't provided..

Thanks everyone for all your input..

SquatchinSince86

Totally Unprofessional
I would 4th or 5th the frameless pontoon option. I dont think anyone has mentioned yet one main downside to the framed/frameless pontoon option is the ability to stand while fishing. Not a deal breaker obviously but important for some folks.

Saturn inflatables have a few options that maybe of interest, that would be packable, sturdy, and one could easily stand up in.

Pedal-Inflatable-Kayak-2.jpeg

Last edited:

sroffe

There are lots of option out there. I've been happy with my Watermaster boat from Bigsky inflatable. It's a bit more pricey than some of the other options, but, it's frameless, packs down nice, and stores easy. It only takes a few minutes to inflate by hand, and maybe 2 minutes if you have an electric air pump. It certainly can handle a big guy and gear. It's got the option for a motor mount too.

cdnred

Another point of consideration with these inflatables, it would be nice to find one that rides high off the water when sitting in one. I've seen some where it appears the person is riding right at the waterline...

cdnred

What's your opinion on the highest riding float tube, sitting well above the water line not in or at the water..?

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
In my Fishcat 4 float tube my butt is in an inch or two of water most of the time. In my Scout my butt invariably gets damp or wet from splashing water, but the only part of me that is submerged is from the top of my calves down, unless I have my feet up on the bar. When I'm using my 9’ framed pontoon I'm several inches above the water but in a wind chop my butt still gets wet from splashing water, especially if I'm really digging with the oars.

Note: I referenced “backcountry” in my prior post. I meant backcountry roads. At close to 40 pounds and 7ish feet long the Scout is too ungainly to backpack unless you're big as a moose and half a century younger than I.

cdnred

Found this tube or pontoon on Amazon for $799 with free shipping. Price falls in between a float tube and a pontoon but it's actually more like a boat. Claims the weight is 30lbs (hull) or 42lbs with motor mount (for attaching a trolling motor if needed), seat and floorboards, doesn't seem so outrageous for weight. Load capacity is 450lbs which is suitable for anyone I'm thinking. Might be a bit heavy for backpacking but for going from the car to a launch site, it would be perfect. Exterior: 9' x 4' / Interior: 6'2"x1'4" / Deflated: 24"x14"x12" / Tube Diameter: 16". Engine Capacity: 3hp (45 lbs. max) or 55 lb. Thrust (min 30" shaft). Inflation and Assembly Time: 5 Mins. Comes with a swivel seat, oars and allows someone to stand up on the floor to fish. Seems like just what I need and I'll stay dry.. What's your thoughts..?

Attachments

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Found this tube or pontoon on Amazon for $799 with free shipping. Price falls in between a float tube and a pontoon but it's actually more like a boat. Claims the weight is 30lbs (hull) or 42lbs with motor mount (for attaching a trolling motor if needed), seat and floorboards, doesn't seem so outrageous for weight. Load capacity is 450lbs which is suitable for anyone I'm thinking. Might be a bit heavy for backpacking but for going from the car to a launch site, it would be perfect. Exterior: 9' x 4' / Interior: 6'2"x1'4" / Deflated: 24"x14"x12" / Tube Diameter: 16". Engine Capacity: 3hp (45 lbs. max) or 55 lb. Thrust (min 30" shaft). Inflation and Assembly Time: 5 Mins. Comes with a swivel seat, oars and allows someone to stand up on the floor to fish. Seems like just what I need and I'll stay dry.. What's your thoughts..?
You'll lose the ability to use fins which isn't all bad as we get older. That said, on the glass half full side you might be able to stand and pee which becomes much more important as we get older. :D

I guess I would read all of the reviews you can find as far as durability, etc. and if it meets your storage and portability needs go for it.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
bote microskiff

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
My thoughts are that you will have a boat for sale in less than 2 years.;)

Ed Call

Long Lost Member
WFF Supporter
I have a watermaster (Big Sky) and outlaw (Scadden), both frameless. WM is heavier material and has a flat footprint on the water. Great for Stillwater and moving water. Outlaw a rockered footprint, lighter material, more nimble. I prefer the rocker design this one on moving water.

If your going to go framed. How about a bike rack hitch mounted that can hold your frame? Do your assembly and disassembly, or most of it, in your driveway.

gofish101

I prefer framed pontoon styles more than frame less boats. To fully setup and inflate my Scadden Skykomish or Bucks Bag SouthFork takes about 10 minutes and about 15 before being on the water, that's using a battery pump. The Scadden uses a 10.6ft. bladderless pontoon design which is better for rowing / tracking than the 8ft. banana style the Bucks Bag uses. With both boats you are off the water by quite a bit a should remain dry unless it's choppy out. The other thing I like about pontoons over other styles is the fact that when equipped with swivel seats I can put my feet up on the pontoons and have a little nap or naps depending on the weather. The Scadden as well as some others have platform options but I don't bother with that, my brother on the other hand swears by them.

Jim M-glass guy

Just a thought about the pontoon boat versus float tube. The larger pontoon boats are sometimes 16" diameter tubes and the one pontoon you expressed interest in is a smaller diameter tube. I believe the FishCat pontoon boat has 4 tubes and 9" diameter which has significantly lower sail to be moved by wind on Stillwater. I have a 16" Outcast pontoon and last spring bought a Prowler which is a bit smaller but still some impact by wind. The Prowler is wonderful in comfort and staying above the water and has plenty of room in compartments. I have setup an anchor and also trying to get a fishfinder arrangement on board also. Have a small lithion ion battery for the fishfinder, so its compact. What I am trying to say is that the smaller pontoon boat will be less of a sail effect.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock