Cork drag reel screeching!

kamishak steve

I came into the possession of an older model islander reel about a year ago with the cork drag similar to Abel, Tibor, etc. Since I got it, I have diligently oiled the cork several times with neets foot oil (once every couple of months). Even with oiling, it still screeches when pulled by steelhead, (understandable) but also even when I pull line off the reel quickly (much more common occurrence). At lower speeds it doesn't squeek but higher speeds it does. I suspect the cork may have dried out. Any thoughts on how to revive it?

DenWor54

Abel reels used to sell a reel lube kit and included was a piece of scotch brite which is for this condition. Lightly abraded the surface and reapply the neet foots oil and your good. I have a few Abel reels that do this also and tackleman an is spot on.

Tim Ihle

Neets foot. You can buy a bottle at any Cobbler enough to last 50 generations.

you should familiarize yourself with what Neets foot oil is...it fantastic

Porter

Neets foot. You can buy a bottle at any Cobbler enough to last 50 generations.

you should familiarize yourself with what Neets foot oil is...it fantastic
Meets foot oil is no longer recommended by some reel mfgers. They want you to use synthetic lube. Had an interesting discussion with Bauer employee from Ashland. At one time they believed in neets foot oil too but after years they saw reels coming back to them all gummed up and cork damage. In a nutshell neets foot oil is made of animal which over time decays and basically rots damaging the cork and the functioning of the reel. Believe it or not!

I only use the X lube Bauer recommends and no issues yet.

ChrisC

I came into the possession of an older model islander reel about a year ago with the cork drag similar to Abel, Tibor, etc. Since I got it, I have diligently oiled the cork several times with neets foot oil (once every couple of months). Even with oiling, it still screeches when pulled by steelhead, (understandable) but also even when I pull line off the reel quickly (much more common occurrence). At lower speeds it doesn't squeek but higher speeds it does. I suspect the cork may have dried out. Any thoughts on how to revive it?
I've had the exact same issue with one of my Bauers, of which none of the other Bauers exhibit that behavior. Oiling the cork on that Bauer didn't solve the problem either. My guess is there's slight warping of the cork drag or where it comes in contact with spool.

My Bauer came with a small tube of Reel-X lube. Mfr. is Corrosion Technologies. 800-638-7361 I've used it sparingly with no issues.

monkutare

Cal’s grease on cork is fantastic and works for all other moving parts, so you won’t have any cross contamination of different reel lubes too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts