Betta Minnow Pattern Question

cmann886

The photo below is of a purchased fly. I have a successful variation of this fly. It works well, however I would like to get the tail to look like the one on the purchased fly and would also like to find the mask/eye set up used on the purchased fly. The body material in my variation is Pearl core braid in gray Ghose by hareline. The core braid does not have material that can be frayed for a tail. The purchased fly feels like the tail was somehow inserted and glued as the end section feels harder than the rest of the body. The purchased fly has a gold top and a white/pearl bottom to the core braid.

Can anyone help me with the construct of the tail, where to find two toned core braid, and where to find the fish head/mask (weighted) in this small of a size?

thanks

cal IMG_0708.jpg

Last edited:

DennisE

Topwater and tying.
Almost looks like Polarflash was threaded through the core (upholstery needle) and then folded back for the color. The head I'd do with UV resin over stick on eyes with weight to suit.

cmann886

I will need to get larger diameter core braid or try something else. Even a small needle could not be threaded through the middle. I even tried using thin copper wire as the needle and trying to pull the flash material through. No success yet. UV resin over stick on eyes does ok, but the purchased fly has weighted and rounded eyes. Likely UV over them.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You could use a Fish Mask to make the head if you don’t have UV cure or epoxy.
They burned end end of the braided body material to keep it from unwrapping.

The tail looks like they used something like pearl baitfish emulator. The body material behind the head looks the same as the tail.
You could also unravel flat pearl diamond braid for the tail.

Rather then pulling the material though the body, you could take a clump of it and wrap it by hand with a bobbin. Just make sure the clump you create will fit into the body tubing cavity.
When you complete the wraps for the tail, add some type of glue to the inside of the body and slide the clump you created for the tail into the body opening far enough to hide the wraps.

Use a permanent marker to make the gold back on the body.

I hope this helps.
SF

Just Fish Stories

Sandlance Flies.jpg
You could use a Fish Mask to make the head if you don’t have UV cure or epoxy.
They burned end end of the braided body material to keep it from unwrapping.

The tail looks like they used something like pearl baitfish emulator. The body material behind the head looks the same as the tail.
You could also unravel flat pearl diamond braid for the tail.

Rather then pulling the material though the body, you could take a clump of it and wrap it by hand with a bobbin. Just make sure the clump you create will fit into the body tubing cavity.
When you complete the wraps for the tail, add some type of glue to the inside of the body and slide the clump you created for the tail into the body opening far enough to hide the wraps.

Use a permanent marker to make the gold back on the body.

I hope this helps.
SF
I tied a few sandlance flies following a European blog that are similar to your fly. I used a looped length of mono that would readily fit through the tubing. Then pulled half the amount of, looped, Krystal flash back through the tubing. I used stick-on eyes with UV over the eyes. Started with a sized length of tube, burned each end to seal the tube, which seems really important. I did use some super glue to attempt to toughen the fly, but SRC really shreaded a couple that they bit. The other comments should also help you figure out how to tie just what you want. I have a couple new ideas for this type of fly. Hope this helps. Bob

Stonefish

View attachment 224011

I tied a few sandlance flies following a European blog that are similar to your fly. I used a looped length of mono that would readily fit through the tubing. Then pulled half the amount of, looped, Krystal flash back through the tubing. I used stick-on eyes with UV over the eyes. Started with a sized length of tube, burned each end to seal the tube, which seems really important. I did use some super glue to attempt to toughen the fly, but SRC really shreaded a couple that they bit. The other comments should also help you figure out how to tie just what you want. I have a couple new ideas for this type of fly. Hope this helps. Bob
I like those. Cuts do indeed do a job on that body type of material with their teeth.
Maybe coating it with a thin coat of UV flex would increase the durability but it might sacrifice some movement. I'm not sure?

My thought was if you didn't pull the tail material through the body, it might make the body a bit more flexible and maybe move a hit more. I'm not sure though.
Stuffing the tail inside would only make the body rigid for just a small amount where the tail goes in.
SF

Just Fish Stories

The weak point on my flies seemed to be more at the hook, going through the tube. I like the idea of using the flash or fish hair, or EP fibers, being pulled through then spread out and folded back like a hackle for more movement. JFS or Bob

Stonefish

Got it now that I look at the fly again that the op posted.
That is a pretty cool technique and hadn't thought about folding the tail material back after being pulled through the body.
I thought that was tied in separately up front before adding the head.
I'll have to give that a try.
Thanks Bob and hope to see you out on the beaches this summer.
SF or Brian

Just Fish Stories

I found the u-tube video I tried to follow with my flies. it is: "Tying the Sand Eel with Barry Ord Clarke".
Google that title and it should pop up. I would try using the bobbin threader tool and see if it is thin enough to go through the OP's tubing. The video mentioned tubing that was used to cover electric wiring, ?? Hope this is also helpful. Bob

cmann886

I found the u-tube video I tried to follow with my flies. it is: "Tying the Sand Eel with Barry Ord Clarke".
Google that title and it should pop up. I would try using the bobbin threader tool and see if it is thin enough to go through the OP's tubing. The video mentioned tubing that was used to cover electric wiring, ?? Hope this is also helpful. Bob
I will give this a try. The pearl core braid is tough to thread. I will be looking for another product to see if I can thread the polar flash through it. I assume that mylar tubing and removing only one inner chord would work, but that would present other durability problems. I would be nice to be able to find what Barry used in his demo.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock