WDFW approves Cooke’s Steelhead Permit

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
So what will you do when everything is shut down except lowland lakes for bass, It is just a matter of time before all saltwater fishing is completely closed and everything that connects to it?

As said WDFW dosent care if you buy a license or if you have opportunities to fish.
Then I will fish lowland lakes for bass. While I believe lakes would likely be the last thing remaining in that case, I think there would be plenty of other options besides bass.

Look, I dont disagree that things are going down the shitter. I just dont think that not buying a license is going to change that one way or another. If not buying one helps you or others feel like you're taking a stand and proving a point, great, more power to ya and I can admire the conviction. I just dont personally believe that it would make a difference, and since that goes hand in hand with my desire to fish, I will continue to live as I always have and fish as much as I can.

For me I just dont see how giving up my dream job and life, and getting some "real" job where I wake up miserable every day is a valid option just because I want to send a message to the state that I dont support these decisions.

Last edited:

gt

Then I will fish lowland lakes for bass. While I believe lakes would likely be the last thing remaining in that case, I think there would be plenty of other options besides bass.

Look, I dont disagree that things are going down the shitter. I just dont think that not buying a license is going to change that one way or another. If not buying one helps you or others feel like you're taking a stand and proving a point, great, more power to ya and I can admire the conviction. I just dont personally believe that it would make a difference, and since that goes hand in hand with my desire to fish, I will continue to live as I always have and fish as much as I can.

For me I just dont see how giving up my dream job and life, and getting some "real" job where I wake up miserable every day is a valid option just because I want to send a message to the state that I dont support these decisions.

i didn't realize you were that connected to fishing until i visited the web site that is a part of your signature. i have to agree, tough times for you.

the license fees are a part of WDFW funding. so not buying a license does send a message. and when the legislature find out the number of anglers is dropping, then what exactly is the reason to grant the funding request from WDFW??

all the best with your 'work' adventure, i think you are going to be in for much tougher times in the foreseeable future but hang in there as long as possible.

SilverFly

Nick, I've known a handful of people that are just plain hard-wired to fish, and won't be happy doing anything else. I'm not sure I'm in that same league, but close enough that I can understand it's not a choice for some. Buy your license, do what you love, and find other ways to protest the stupidity and corruption that is screwing over our fisheries.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
i didn't realize you were that connected to fishing until i visited the web site that is a part of your signature. i have to agree, tough times for you.

the license fees are a part of WDFW funding. so not buying a license does send a message. and when the legislature find out the number of anglers is dropping, then what exactly is the reason to grant the funding request from WDFW??

all the best with your 'work' adventure, i think you are going to be in for much tougher times in the foreseeable future but hang in there as long as possible.

I'll concede that if an enormous segment of the fishing population were to abstain from buying a license, it would send a message for sure. I'm still not convinced that message would result in massive change. The states hands are so tied dealing with the feds and the tribes that their is only so much they can do.

However I dont see a chance in hell that fishermen will ever get together enough to have enough people to stand together to even come close to making such a statement. Let's face it, one thing the angling world is terrible at is coming together for a common cause. We've proven that time and time again. So in the absence of truly significant numbers banding together then all this amounts to is a personal stand

For you it sounds like you have made such a stand and are content traveling elsewhere to fish, and you clearly have the means to do so. That's not an option for me. So my stand to not buy a license would result in me basically not fishing. I'm not ok with that. If you are ok with your choices and feel its making a difference, or feel better looking yourself in the mirror knowing you have done what you can, I can respect that. But I just dont see it as an option for me. I'd rather have some fishing than no fishing. Maybe that's lazy, I dunno. But it is what it is.

To me its the equivalent of not buying tabs and selling my car because I'm unhappy with how license money is being spent.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I'm just curious if with all the new folks moving to our state now, if some of them aren't just replacing the folks who decided not to renew their licenses. If so WDFW, would see no loss of license sales.
Obviously not everyone that moves to Washington will fish or hunt, but I'm sure a decent portion of them do.

How often do new members here pop up that just moved here asking for info about fishing in Washington? It seems to happen quite often.

Does anyone have numbers regarding the number of licenses sold per year or where that information can be located?
SF

Yard Sale

Huge Member
You guys should try living in the Gorge!

"Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place,
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you "

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
The WDFW obligation, it's in their 'mission statement,' is to maintain the wildlife in WA, all wildlife. Basically if there is an abundance or surplus that is for the citizens. We have many forces impacting and changing our environment, it has reached a crises for many species, in many areas. The fact is we "sportsmen" are not the priority. Tantrums and threats won't send the WDFW down a different path. Insulting and accusing WDFW employees won't get us to a solution. I don't like the 'Cooke decision', error on the side of safety. 'Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change' and "Never yield to negativity" Pope Francis.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
One thing we have plenty of is new people in this state. Like youths turning to the new NBA to watch "good" basketball, expectations are obviously lowered. This is the new generation and the relocated people moving here because of better outdoor/nature opportunities than where they came from (basically, moving here from any where in the US is an upgrade there...sshhhhh).

Steelhead are already being pimped out as a Rare Trophy by guides, they'll happily guide you for weeks on endless /fishless hunts, because it is a Rare Trophy. Expectation is already built in.

Our new Steelheaders are the Cubs fans of old, reincarnated.

Talk to anglers who hail from Montana to Iowa to Louisiana, we have better Trophy Steelhead than they do. Opportunity is better than none.

Losing geezers like us who remember the good old days to the 100 of replacements for each, the loss is us, not on them. The old days, we never even had a back-up rod. If you broke one, you did not fish until you bought or quickly built another.

One fiberglass 7 weight fly rod for panfish to jetty bass or salmon.

Imagine modern SAGE marketing meetings thinking of that horror !

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Of all the money I spend or have spent on fishing, licensing is the least of it.
If someone can get 15,000 anglers to not buy, I'll join in. But I seriously doubt that you could get 150 to not buy for the reasons talked about in this thread.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
WFF Supporter
How can our own WDFW allow the expansion of commercial net pens, while at the same time just to the north of us the B.C. government is requiring theirs to be removed by 2025 because of all the environmental damage they’re causing?
I'm guessing because this ain't Canada & those Canadian fish farms do not have a treaty tribe partner

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
WFF Supporter

smelt jigging is always a good time

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info