WDFW approves Cooke’s Steelhead Permit

gt

some interesting commentary. i know a few guides who have been at it a very long time. i also see 'hero' images from one guide in particular with unclipped steelhead totally out of the water. i emailed this guy and got a very nasty reply, so much for my opinion of him and his business.

ran into a guy fishing the Dungeness river a couple of days ago who had images of what looked to be a steelhead of over 20#s, a real beauty and one of the biggest i have seen in recent years.

ethical to C&R this fish?? a great question that YOU need to answer for yourself. i know as i sort of maxed out my steelhead goals, i started cutting the hooks on my flies so only the presentation and the take were logged, never had to worry about releasing a fish from that point on. again a personal decision for me.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
I know many guides. Many are great people. Most love to fish. I have a different opinion than you. That doesn't make me narrow minded. It means I have standards, ethics, and opinions that differ that's all. My opinion isn't one of arrogance. I no longer fish steelhead for the same reasons I don't feel guiding for them is ethical. My horse in the race is the same as any other resident now in that guides shouldn't be allowed to guide unregulated over a species that is clearly on the ropes. This pandering over if "all" are that way is little more than semantics, trivial, and not a game I'm going to indulge. I simply think differently, have observed differently, and experienced differently.
It isn’t just semantics, I just don’t like broad brushes of opinion applied as fact. I statements are important when debating these things. “I feel it is unethical.” Versus “It is unethical.”

I don’t fish for them anymore, but I don’t feel it is for me to judge to harshly others who do. If the guides are so bad, than so are the clients who hire them and then also the individuals who choose to do so on their own.

Scudley Do Right

It isn’t just semantics, I just don’t like broad brushes of opinion applied as fact. I statements are important when debating these things. “I feel it is unethical.” Versus “It is unethical.”

I don’t fish for them anymore, but I don’t feel it is for me to judge to harshly others who do. If the guides are so bad, than so are the clients who hire them and then also the individuals who choose to do so on their own.
Ethics are subjective, his idea of what is morally acceptable and yours are different. If he doesn't think it is ethical then that indeed is a fact.

riverrun

Dare I ask why all the outrage focused on Cooke with not one apparent mention of the open net pen facility at Rufus Woods on the Columbia River? I've never seen it or done it but isn't there a fishery there focused on escaped pen fish? Last I checked, Monterey Bay Aquarium listed this facility as a Best Choice. Is there a difference here and/or something that Cooke can do differently? Not really trying to debate the merits of open pen aquaculture but just wondering. I find it hard to believe that this is just a case of NIMBY when the Columbia River resources may be at similar risk.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
Ethics are subjective, his idea of what is morally acceptable and yours are different. If he doesn't think it is ethical then that indeed is a fact.
Thus the need for I statements. I don’t think it is ethical, or I don’t think it is morally acceptable. Those statements are indeed facts. Whereas, It is unethical, or it is morally wrong, are opinions. This is a pretty simple difference, and one that I have slipped up on as well. I really want people to own their opinions, and accept that they are not indeed facts. Speaking in ultimates about complex issues, rarely ever helps... in my opinion. I think the Cooke Farm is a bad idea. I think that there are ethical and morally upstanding guides that fish for steelhead.

Last edited:
Reactions: smc

Brian St

It is you're, not your and this is really a narrow view of things. There are selfish people, but there are also others who guide for reasons far beyond your (see I used it correctly their...oops I mean there) understanding. But since you openly called them out, why don't you let us know what you do for a living so we can call you soulless, morally screwing others and a selfish asshole.
Somebody jas to police grammer. Did that just make your ass twitch a little? Hope so. I want to be perfectly clear I was not bashing guides in general. I used to be one. Steelhead part of the year and salmon in Alaska the other part. I witnessed my favorite river as a guide and fishermen turn into a total shit show. Outfitters running six to seven boats in different sections per day in the fall. Almost all fishing clients with bobbers. I said fuck it and got back into building custom homes. I still see people do stupid shit but they are not pimping out the last of a public resource to fill there pockets.

I have a huge amount of respect for guides who are willing to forget about the numbers game in steelheading. Who are willing to challenge there clients to do it the hard way and earn every grab they get. It builds a stronger angler and hopefully a better human with respect for the resource.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts