NOLA redfish trip

DenWor54

Hey guys looking for any input on your experiences on flies,tackle, lines. I have a trip planned to see my sons band play at jazz fest and dovetailed two days with a guide to fish for redfish and any thing else that will hit a fly. I think I have gear covered it’s more flies and I hate to take a trip and realize that I should have planned on catching? I really look for to fishing topwater flies and reel lucky to have a few of billymac bass flies that we traded for some equipment a while back to see if they will work on redfish!

DenWor54

Orange prawn type flies.
Spoon flies
Thanks Thrasybulus,
That’s what I was looking for somewhere to start, I have a lot of gurglers and poppers mainly used for GT’s. I figure I might throw some seedless stuff in the to, I will talk to the guide and get his recommendations also.

Prickly Claire

Crab patterns, shrimp patterns, baitfish patterns. Some with lead eyes, some with bead chain, maybe some unweighted. Rootbeer, black/blurple, and gold for murky water conditions. White, olive, white/chartreuse, tan, and electric chicken (bright pink/chartreuse) for clear water conditions.

DenWor54

Crab patterns, shrimp patterns, baitfish patterns. Some with lead eyes, some with bead chain, maybe some unweighted. Rootbeer, black/blurple, and gold for murky water conditions. White, olive, white/chartreuse, tan, and electric chicken (bright pink/chartreuse) for clear water conditions.
Thanks Claire,
Looking at videos I will tie the range in sink rates and thank you for the color ranges, it also looks like a neutral sink rate could be an nice add to the mix. How important are weed guards in this fishery. I plan on wrapping up some crab,shrimp and some baitfish but what are the baitfish in the estuary that are the most important to mimic?

doublebluff

Go Beavs
You're being guided, ya? Best advice, I think: do what they say, use what the have. I like to tie stuff for my own use too, but the guides usually have their system and, with limited time, I would just use their flies. Have a great time!

DenWor54

You're being guided, ya? Best advice, I think: do what they say, use what the have. I like to tie stuff for my own use too, but the guides usually have their system and, with limited time, I would just use their flies. Have a great time!
Thanks doublebluff,
Tying is my hobby and I have stuff that I would like to try and see if it works, he is going to send me a list of bugs to wrap. If he is not happy with my bugs i’m not to proud to fish his, I will fill a couple boxes up and see if and hopefully at least one works. Thanks for your input.

Thrasybulus

The new fly fisherman
Hey guys looking for any input on your experiences on flies,tackle, lines. I have a trip planned to see my sons band play at jazz fest and dovetailed two days with a guide to fish for redfish and any thing else that will hit a fly. I think I have gear covered it’s more flies and I hate to take a trip and realize that I should have planned on catching? I really look for to fishing topwater flies and reel lucky to have a few of billymac bass flies that we traded for some equipment a while back to see if they will work on redfish!
9wt rod (8wt works too)
Top quality red fish fly line
Practice making short and accurate roll casts. Redfish like the fly within a foot of their mouths. Quick deliveries with minimal false casting hooks more fish.

DenWor54

9wt rod (8wt works too)
Top quality red fish fly line
Practice making short and accurate roll casts. Redfish like the fly within a foot of their mouths. Quick deliveries with minimal false casting hooks more fish.
Thanks Thrasybulus,
That’s what the guide recommended on fly lines, I have two 8 wghts and two 10 wghts. I have a dock right by my house so I will definitely get things dialed in before my trip. The guide gave me some suggestions for in the marsh areas and out side, just need to wrap up some stuff with weed guards. Also i’m guessing leaders will be have to be stout and tapered to 15-20lb flourucarbon.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Steve Birrer

So you are going to fish for two days or at least you are booked for two days.

1. 50% chance one day will get cancelled.
2. There are only two flies you need. A large baitfish pattern and a crab. Can't go wrong with black, purple, olive.
3. I wouldn't waste my time with topwater. YES they will hit topwaters when the conditions are right and they are in the mood. But with just two days you will likely have limited opportunities. Go with a higher percentage pattern to start with. Catch some first and you if get a couple then maybe try a gurgler.
4. Leaders shouldn't be any longer than about 7 ft and no less than 20# tippet. My 8s have 20# tippet but my 10s go down to 30# and I know several guides who just go with 40# on their big rods.
5. Short casts are the name of the game. If you guide says 10 o'clcok and 30ft then put your fly there even if you don't see the fish.
6. Enjoy tying - great. But if you tie and bring more than a handful of flies 99% of them will never see the water.....lol. Even if you are hammering the fish. I had a great day back last fall. Landed 10 fish and used two flies. Only because the water got so skinny the first one was sinking too fast.
7. Weeguards - waste of time. In fact if you have them the first thing most guides here do is to cut them off.

Good luck!!!

DenWor54

Great info Steve,
I have a ton of baitfish patterns, I will revive some ties that I used for GT’s that are black and red, and black and blue, on the purple colors is there a contrast color like green or pink or blue or stock purple. The guide recommended 2-3 inch baitfish patterns which i’m tying now. As far a crab patterns go do you have a go to pattern or stock yarn crab ties. I also have six days to play with if one day doesn’t work and one day that I plan on seeing my sons band performance at jazz fest.
Thanks

Steve Birrer

Baitifsh - Most of my patterns (tied by buddies as I don't tie) are on 2/0 and more so 3/0 hooks. And a good 3 inches long with several sizes of chain beads. In general you want them to sink pretty quick if you are fishing banks and open flats. Only in ponds do you typically use slower sinking stuff. As for colors I like black and purple, purple and chartreuse, green and brown. And it never hurts to have a more white pattern like white and chartreuse.

Crabs - Puglisi EP Blue Crab and EP Brown Crab.....1/0

Now for some good news for you. Since Jazz Fest is in late April this year the fish be in the oyster ponds. And when they get in there they are there for one reason and one reason only. To eat. And they show themselves a lot. Waking, backs out of the water, or tailing. And its a GREAT time to see huge black drum tailing. 30# + fish are nothing at that time of year!! And the wind typically has laid down a bit by then!!!!

DenWor54

Thanks again Steve,
That helps a lot I love tying baitfish stuff and will go check out my GT boxes and take a look for my rooster fish stuff which should cross over well. I’ll post some pics this weekend on some of my tying and see if it looks like it’s in the ball park. The one thing that I hate to tie are crabs so I will have to mix them in to stay focused. One more question does it make sense to tie the baitfish bendback style which helps with fishing over weed or oyster bottom?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock