What's up with jig flys

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I've noticed a preponderance of jig flys over the last couple years. It seems they're growing in popularity quickly.
What is the reasoning behind their rapidly expanding usage in many different realms of the fly fishing world? How do folks fish them? Would it be like a jig on conventional gear? Lift & drop, strip & glide, bottom crawl?
I thought this would make a good topic of discussion.
How many of forum members are getting jiggy these days?
I know @b_illymac believes strongly in jig flys, what say you Billy?

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
I've been tying on jig hooks with slotted tungsten beads for years now. At first I did it so I could hang patterns more horizontally in the water column under an indicator, but then I found they also work well just casting and stripping.

Hook up also produces less snags.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
hook up = fewer snags. That's my primary reason for using them. I don't tie little trout flies, but most of the nymphs I use are tied on little jig hooks for this reason. For stripping/swinging flies, I prefer non-jig hooks, but that's because with most of my flies that I tie, I'm after a particular action that the jiggy part would inhibit. Although, I do have a few of @b_illymac jiggy flies that'll get some serious play later this year.

The better question might be, why wouldn't you?

tackleman

Its another tool in the fly tying and fishing toolbox. Naturally they 'jig' but the best part is upside down - less bottom hook ups. I also use them for a variation to using barbell eyes. When fishing over weed or grass they grab less, stay cleaner. They also stay in well, possibly because the leader pull is more in line with the hook point. I fish more confidently barbless because of that direction of pull - less torque through the bend to the hook point creating a larger entry hole for the hook to come out of. YMMV

1morecast

I've noticed a preponderance of jig flys over the last couple years. It seems they're growing in popularity quickly.
What is the reasoning behind their rapidly expanding usage in many different realms of the fly fishing world? How do folks fish them? Would it be like a jig on conventional gear? Lift & drop, strip & glide, bottom crawl?
I thought this would make a good topic of discussion.
How many of forum members are getting jiggy these days?
I know @b_illymac believes strongly in jig flys, what say you Billy?
I have been wondering the same thing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info