Are there any other NRS Gigbob owners here?

bakerite

I'm wondering what you have done rigging wise. I really love the craft and concept, but am getting ready to work on rigging it up for the upcoming season. Would like to figure out how to set up a good stripping basket or apron. I'm going to put some D ring and a couple of scotty mount on and am wondering about how placement has worked for others.

lee c

I have owned a gigbob for several seasons, works real well for me. However as mostly a Stillwater fisherman I don't use the lower two pontoons, while lower to the water isnt a plus for casting, it cuts down on wind problems. I bought the anchor platform from them, and works well and its easy to glue the scotty mounts in place. Although I do find the more stuff sticking up, the more chance of line getting caught on it at the worst times. Mine came with a stripping apron, works fine for me. Enjoy your Gigbob, I have mine.

lee c

Forgot to mention one of the best parts, NRS is a great company for customer service.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I looked long and hard at buying one of these, but when I saw it at the Fly Shop in Redding it was much larger than I thought......so

I have a FishCat float tube and a Outcast Pac900.

Would you trade both for the GigBob?? I was really looking at it for travel with a trailer and truck on extended trips to Montana and BC. Does it work better for those than the FishCat and PAC900??

Appreciate your thoughts on good points and negatives on it.... thanks.

lee c

With the two pontoons on, it is large, and catches a lot of wind. That's why I don't use the pontoons, and only take the oars along to chase away the snakes. Having went from a float tube to a pram before the gigbob I have no experience for comparison. It does fit nicely in a bed of pickup or deflated into nearly anyplace. I had a buddy that fished out of a FishCat Scout and we traded one day just for a switch, while I found nothing at all wrong with the FishCat accept the messing with bar getting ready to fish, my friend didn't like the Gigbob much, while heavier then I, he was 4 inches shorter and sitting in the seat he said he fought the feeling of slipping out all day. While I have never had that problem, it is something to think about.
On a somewhat different note, I have been known to smoke the occasional cigar while watching the indicator, while landing a fish I set the cigar down on one of the oar platforms, it rolled off and burn a sizeable hole in the gigbob. Naturally I didn't discover the hole until I noticed a rather pronounced bend in the craft. Kicking and rowing I made it from the channel at coffeepot to the boat ramp with little or no air in it. There pretty buoyant...….I did however give up cigars and nearly took up religion.

bakerite

I looked long and hard at buying one of these, but when I saw it at the Fly Shop in Redding it was much larger than I thought......so

I have a FishCat float tube and a Outcast Pac900.

Would you trade both for the GigBob?? I was really looking at it for travel with a trailer and truck on extended trips to Montana and BC. Does it work better for those than the FishCat and PAC900??

Appreciate your thoughts on good points and negatives on it.... thanks.
I have the Gigbob II, a Fat Cat and a Wilderness lite. I ordered the Gigbob after just reading some reviews and was surprised at it's size too. It would be a replacement for your Pac900. I would not try to pack it in anywhere at 67 lbs. with the oars and everything. Set up as a float tube it is supposed to be 22 lbs., but I have found that it kicks well with just the fins with the pontoons attached and have never taken it apart. It is different than any outcast product because it is a high pressure rig like the inflatable stand up paddleboards. You inflate it to 6lbs of pressure and it becomes quite rigid. I am not a white water guy but took it down the Yakima with my son on the back and down an easy part of the Salmon river. NRS guys have taken them down the Middle fork of the Salmon. I have a Scadden Madison pontoon and the Gigbob seems like a much better rig. You would need to talk to Lee about using it as a float tube, I fish a lot of small lakes that require hikes and like my tubes for them, but use the Gigbob when I can drive up to the water. My wife used it for part of a day float and loved it. We also used it as a party raft one time on Redfish Lake without oars or seat, just a cooler of beer and it worked well.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts