Could this be what unites anglers?

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
For some clarity on the issue here for those not aware, a quote from WFC ;

“Most people don’t realize that over 97% of the Chinook salmon caught in the ocean off Southeast Alaska are not from Alaska, they’re actually from rivers in British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon. These salmon are not Alaskan salmon, they belong to the rivers and peoples of the entire coast, as well as the killer whales and coastal ecosystems that depend on them,” said Beardslee.

Shad

Pretty sure we can get most anglers on board. The trouble comes in when you look at who is doing the catching in SE AK. Most of the commercials operate out of a little port in a far-off land called Seattle, and they are backed by lobbyists with extremely deep pockets and a mantra that they supply the 90% of people who don't fish with fresh salmon. An equally huge part of the intercept harvest is done by recreational anglers, a good percentage of whom are from around these parts as well. In other words, Washingtonians are killing Washington fish. They're just doing it in Alaska to take advantage of Alaskan and Canadian fish, too. Sure beats fishing for the scraps they leave the rest of us....

I'm glad to see somebody put a little muscle (legal muster) behind ending the low-holing, but I have very little confidence it will result in meaningful, lasting change.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Mix stock salt fisheries is where the money is.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Canadians might be willing to reduce their harvest of our fish. In return, what fish of theirs will the want us to reduce our harvest of? Frazer sockeye?
SF

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic

The Canadians might be willing to reduce their harvest of our fish. In return, what fish of theirs will the want us to reduce our harvest of? Frazer sockeye?
SF
Indeed it is. Certainly this is true for the commercials. We love to scream about native harvest, because we see the nets. We don't see the troll boats of Haida Guaii etc. They harvest a remarkable amount of WA salmon. Then we go buy it at Anthony's.

Locally, the big money people are those with boats fishing in the salt. They spend a bunch on those boats and gear etc. Makes buying a Burkie look like buying a snoopy rod. Saltwater boat anglers are the true elites of Washington state fishing.

Go Sox,
cds

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter

SF

Probably put an end to Wa fishermen buying Canadian licenses and running across into Canadian waters from Neah Bay, Port Angeles etc to start.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
AK commercial reduction seems like a political non-starter in WA for the reasons mentioned above. It'd take a big lawsuit to get anywhere, I think.

Honestly, I'm not sure that recreational anglers will ever stop dividing themselves up into little cliques (to say nothing of other groups like tribes and environmentalists) for long enough to band together enough to defeat moneyed interests. No matter if they are commercial fishing, mining, development or farming, we can't stand up to their lobbyists, lawyers, and money if we're too busy complaining about each other.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
AK commercial reduction seems like a political non-starter in WA for the reasons mentioned above. It'd take a big lawsuit to get anywhere, I think.

Honestly, I'm not sure that recreational anglers will ever stop dividing themselves up into little cliques (to say nothing of other groups like tribes and environmentalists) for long enough to band together enough to defeat moneyed interests. No matter if they are commercial fishing, mining, development or farming, we can't stand up to their lobbyists, lawyers, and money if we're too busy complaining about each other.
Yeah, of course a dirty nympher would say that! ;)

g_smolt

Recreational User
For some clarity on the issue here for those not aware, a quote from WFC ;

“Most people don’t realize that over 97% of the Chinook salmon caught in the ocean off Southeast Alaska are not from Alaska, they’re actually from rivers in British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon. These salmon are not Alaskan salmon, they belong to the rivers and peoples of the entire coast, as well as the killer whales and coastal ecosystems that depend on them,” said Beardslee.
Part of what I do for a living is analyze data from AK fisheries.

I've looked long and hard at AK commercial troll, and the ONLY way I can reconcile the above statement with reality is if I cherry-pick data from 1 or 2 years out of the last 20, and only portions of those years at that.

Before anyone gets their undies in a bunch, I am not denying the AK troll fishery is largely based on intercept harvest. That percentage has ranged from 89-90% in some years to 72% in other years, when taken on a full year (3 different management plans - winter, spring, summer) and with a full accounting of AK hatchery contribution.

The AK sport harvest is far more equitable, with values ranging from 50% intercept (NSEO) to less than 20% (SSEI).

Recently, these numbers attached to the percentages have been small, and as of the 2019 reauthorization of the PST, AK has taken a 15% reduction ON TOP of the roughly 5k fish "hatchery uncertainty" penalty for not marking 100% of its hatchery kings. All told, the total king take (comm/sport) was less than 165K fish, with AK hatchery and wild making up about 50k of those fish.

The king decline is a coastwide phenomena, and the PST has been authorized with the blessing of NOAA. Not sure where WFC is going with their latest effort, but I would certainly hope they get their numbers right in the next effort.

Last edited: