Trip Report Had Christmas Island all to ourselves

philosking

Wife and I went back to CI to end out the year, I missed two days of fishing last year due to sun poisoning. This year we had the whole atoll to ourselves as every lodge was closed with the exception of Christmas Island Outfitters, we went Dec. 25th to Jan. 2nd. We had a blast and landed about 12 different species. The wife knocked them dead with a Golden Trevally. Here are some pics enjoy.

Attachments

philosking

Outstanding! What weight gear did you use for that GT?
Wife landed the golden on her Scott Radian 8wt with an Everglades Tibor holding a tapered 16lb tippet. Last year she landed a 15 - 20 lb GT at the wreck on the same rod because they thought it was Blue Fin. Once she landed it, the mantis shrimp fly was almost straight. Mine was on an Echo EPR 10wt with a Riptide Tibor with the drag buttoned down and 100lb shock tippet. I pointed the rod, with just enough bend, so the reel did all the heavy lifting.

Mems

Congrats on your wife's golden, they are very smart fish. Looks like the GTs are still eating milkies at Huffdam. Who were your guides? Did you find the bones to be picky? Nice you got the place to your selves. I love CI, too bad so many other people are loving it to death. Mems.

philosking

Congrats on your wife's golden, they are very smart fish. Looks like the GTs are still eating milkies at Huffdam. Who were your guides? Did you find the bones to be picky? Nice you got the place to your selves. I love CI, too bad so many other people are loving it to death. Mems.
I had Michael most of the time but went through like four guides. Most of the time the bones were picky as could be, I had some really good presentations and they just spooked. Most of the time the bones were bigger quality than last year, the one I am holding in this photo, which was my largest, was estimated by the guide to be around 7lbs.

Yeah, Micahel was telling us how fights are breaking out on the flats and how boats leave at the crack of dawn just so the guide can get the flat they want. This will probably be our last trip there, so many places in the world to experience.

philosking

Ikari House is booking way too many anglers these days. Ideally CXI would have max 30 anglers per week.
Definitely not going to get any better with the new terminal that just went in, the new business center going up in London, and the small shopping mall just outside of The Villages. Sunset Horizon Lodge, where we stayed for Christmas Island Outfitters, is putting the final touches to the three new rooms they added to the lodge.
If we ever go again it will be during the holiday time, as long as one of the lodges is booking guests, since both times saw limited anglers.

chief

We went to the Villages in 2018 over Thanksgiving week and there were only 2 other anglers at the lodge - 2 British guys. This year (2019) we went in early November, more crowded, but not crazy like January - April when every lodge is full. It is a great place, but there are no controls in place to limit the number of anglers, and/or coordinate flat assignments between the various lodges. The fishery is healthy, but the fish are spookier than they used to be which I assume is due to the increased pressure. But I would still go back….

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Juicy pictures. High on my list. But have to find a time window that works...

Steve

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I cant help but wonder about complaining about the crowds while posting a report on a popular forum. Maybe even these far away destinations are better left unnamed moving forward.

Nice report though. Sounds like a blast. I'm very envious

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock