EWA spey day

scifidelity

Hey all,

EWA held their annual spey day last weekend. This was my second time going. Fun to be able to cast a bunch of different two handers. They had reps and rods from Hardy, Loomis, Echo, Orvis Winston and Sage. I tried most of the Winstons, Sage and a couple Orvis rods. Mostly 8 wts, a couple 7s and one 6.

I posted my findings (opinions) last year after the event, and I was surprised that once again, a Winston was my favorite. Last year, Winston Neumos was my favorite, which is a much cheaper rod than their top of the line last year, the b3x th. This year, the only had the new Air TH, and let me tell you they are sweet. So much finesse. Very fast action, it gives you a lot of feedback. It just works. You all should try one if you can. Amazing rod. They discontinued the Neumos so I was able to get a new one for 50% off this summer. I'll have to get the Neumos out this week for a fresher comparison, but I don't know that the Air TH is worth $850 more (comparing what I paid for the Neumos)? I don't think so. The Neumos was way over built for the price point. Winston rep admitted this. It was just an odd price point (between mid and high end) and so didn't sell well, according to someone at Winston I spoke with a couple months.

I own a Sage X 8130 and wanted to try the igniter series, which is supposed to be "better" but also faster action than the X series. I love my X 8130, hated the Igniter. Way to stiff all the way up and down. Truly was like casting a broom stick.

scifidelity

What did you think of the Orvis two hander?
The 13’6” 8 ft was ok. Not enough feel to it for me. I was able to throw darts with it, I just didn’t like how it felt. They are ridiculously light, maybe too light. The new SA freight liner it was paired with was very nice. Then the rep had me try a 11 ft 8wt with one of their new integrated Spey lite lines, took a little while to get used to making my stroke super compact but it was a lot of fun. The rep who also guides said that’s all he has his older clients use now because they can still cast well and all day with it after 3 full days of fishing.I could still easily cast ~60 ft. with it. He said that’s about the top of its range though.

Bruce Baker

The 13’6” 8 ft was ok. Not enough feel to it for me. I was able to throw darts with it, I just didn’t like how it felt. They are ridiculously light, maybe too light. The new SA freight liner it was paired with was very nice. Then the rep had me try a 11 ft 8wt with one of their new integrated Spey lite lines, took a little while to get used to making my stroke super compact but it was a lot of fun. The rep who also guides said that’s all he has his older clients use now because they can still cast well and all day with it after 3 full days of fishing.I could still easily cast ~60 ft. with it. He said that’s about the top of its range though.
Thanks!! I have yet to take up spey fishing, but if I do I will keep your comments in mind as I am 60.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I found out it was easy enough to do. But just didn't like it. The rod I had was a St,Croix 15 footer. I used a 9,10,11 line on it with a 6" dia. Fly reel on it. I could cast well enough with it. But was happier with my 9'6" 8wt. So I sold the spey rod set up.

scifidelity

I found out it was easy enough to do. But just didn't like it. The rod I had was a St,Croix 15 footer. I used a 9,10,11 line on it with a 6" dia. Fly reel on it. I could cast well enough with it. But was happier with my 9'6" 8wt. So I sold the spey rod set up.
If you're able to/ and up for it, you might give it another shot with a current rod. With the modern materials and advanced blank layups, it's possible to fish much shorter rods that are much easier to cast. If you ever get back to WA, I'd be honored to take you out and let you use any of mine.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts