Spey Help

wollybugger

deny self.
Hey Spey Guys and Gals,

It’s seems as though it’s time to crack into the next bank breaking side of fly fishing. My wife and I are looking at Spey rod and reel set ups and have no where to start. A few years back I had a simple Echo Spey and it was great but I really didn’t know anything about it and it was very short lived.

I am curious, with all the knowledge here, what Two-Handed rod set ups do any of you recommend for an entry level Spey caster? Nothing crazy expensive but I also don’t want to buy it all over again next year as we progress. I would say somewhere in the realm of $400-$700. I don’t mind buying something nice if it’s used at a good deal either.

thanks everyone,
-wb

spfd jason

It will be easier for the board to give recommendations if you add a bit more info. Where will you be fishing? Time of year? Species? Once we know your target, we can help out a bit more.

wollybugger

deny self.
It will be easier for the board to give recommendations if you add a bit more info. Where will you be fishing? Time of year? Species? Once we know your target, we can help out a bit more.
Hey thanks for the response. Pretty much just steelhead. Olympic Peninsula for the region and as far as time of the year is concerned I’m not too educated yet but as long as it’s not unfishable conditions I have the work schedule flexibility now to get out there as much as I want. Probably 1-2 days a week. Would be cool to eventually take larger trips to other states and countries but for now I’ll start in the OP.

skyrise

What’s wrong with the Echo rod you have now ? Too stiff, long or broken ?
Maybe you could stop in at one of the known fly shops & get some advice, even try casting a couple of rods ?

wollybugger

deny self.
What’s wrong with the Echo rod you have now ? Too stiff, long or broken ?
Maybe you could stop in at one of the known fly shops & get some advice, even try casting a couple of rods ?
It was from years back. I ended up selling it when I moved into a city with no access to keep learning the Spey game:/

Gregobr

WFF Supporter
A for a new setup that’s close to your price point (high end of it), look at the Echo Full Spey in 8 wt 13’ ($550). I’m big on used reels, there are nice ones to be had for $100 or so. For new, the Echo Ion 10-12 ($100) is serviceable as an entry level steelhead reel. The Bravo 10-12 ($140 ?) is better on paper but I e never used one. Then add a Skagit head sized to the rod ($60 new or $25-$50 used), shooting line ($20 for 44 lb test trilene), backing ($10-15).

I've cast this rod and like it a lot. If you shop used, you can find good deals. Spey Pages is often a good place to find a used rod at a good price. For just OP, I'd go 8 wt. if you want one that’s good for summer and winter runs and just want one rod go with a 7 wt 12 1/2 or 13 footer.

Another option in a new rod at $605 is the Loomis IMX Pro short Spey. Nice rod!

wollybugger

deny self.
A for a new setup that’s close to your price point (high end of it), look at the Echo Full Spey in 8 wt 13’ ($550). I’m big on used reels, there are nice ones to be had for $100 or so. For new, the Echo Ion 10-12 ($100) is serviceable as an entry level steelhead reel. The Bravo 10-12 ($140 ?) is better on paper but I e never used one. Then add a Skagit head sized to the rod ($60 new or $25-$50 used), shooting line ($20 for 44 lb test trilene), backing ($10-15).

I've cast this rod and like it a lot. If you shop used, you can find good deals. Spey Pages is often a good place to find a used rod at a good price. For just OP, I'd go 8 wt. if you want one that’s good for summer and winter runs and just want one rod go with a 7 wt 12 1/2 or 13 footer.

Another option in a new rod at $605 is the Loomis IMX Pro short Spey. Nice rod!
Hey thanks for writing all that out. I keep hearing really great things about that Echo Full Spey in exactly that weight and length and also that in a 7wt. I have a Orvis Battenkill Disc for 7-9wt but I’m on the fence of getting something else but for now that will do! I’ll definitely check that stuff out. Thanks again so much.

cmann886

Hey Spey Guys and Gals,

It’s seems as though it’s time to crack into the next bank breaking side of fly fishing. My wife and I are looking at Spey rod and reel set ups and have no where to start. A few years back I had a simple Echo Spey and it was great but I really didn’t know anything about it and it was very short lived.

I am curious, with all the knowledge here, what Two-Handed rod set ups do any of you recommend for an entry level Spey caster? Nothing crazy expensive but I also don’t want to buy it all over again next year as we progress. I would say somewhere in the realm of $400-$700. I don’t mind buying something nice if it’s used at a good deal either.

thanks everyone,
-wb
I now have three rods by Steve Godshall. Rod, matching line, aluminum tube were about $600. They are heirloom quality rods and you get to choose the color scheme and if you choose have your name on the rod. You can get a good Allen Real, perhaps used, and be within your price range and you will not out grow the performance of the rod. If you can pick up a used Loop rod they are fantastic. I don't know why they are not more popular here in the U.S. When the Evotech were on close out, I got one for under $250 including shipping. It is one of my favorite rods for heavier fish and bigger rivers. There are many good rods, but they have to be matched with the correct line and match your casting style. If at all possible find someone who can give you lessons, try a variety of lines before you buy. Steve typically has some demo rods that you can try before you buy.

Last edited:

JayB

Also worth a look at the Reddington Chromer packages with the Behemouth reels.

I'm sure there are lots of shops that can put a package for you, but off the top of my head here's a handful of option. The guy at the link "Grabflies", Gorge Fly Shop in Hood River, Waters West in Port Angeles, and also Red's Fly shop near Ellensburg.

spfd jason

Reel wise, the Battenkill Disc 7-9wt is designated for single hand rods and will likely be too light for an 8wt 13 ft spey rod. I'd recommend the Orvis Battenkill V click and pawl reel to start.

Rod wise, so many selections. Lot's of threads with good recommendations for new spey casters. Can't go wrong with Echo.

Have fun!

Rob Allen

I'd check this our. Good gear in your budget

Joe H

Rob has a solid suggestion... Salter's Arc 1308 paired with his Marquis 2 would make for a great classic setup, that even by today's standards would be impossible to beat given his asking prices.
(I'd also pick up BT's Nextcast F1 Zone 550 in the classifieds for the kit.)

With one combo down, just have to decide on one for your wife... for which a brand new Echo full spey is currently listed on Spey Pages for $325. Pick up an Orvis Battenkill IV Spey reel (currently on sale for $149 at Orvis), and you'd be done.

Two fine setups for under $1000.

Good luck in your search WB.

Jim Darden

Hey Spey Guys and Gals,

thanks everyone,
-wb
If you really want to save some money, find a fly shop that actually fishes the rods they sell and follow their advise,( or a friend nearby that spey fishes). There are many rods out there, even under $200 that are fine choices, but they MUST be matched with the right line.....and that ain't easy. It is easy to spend more than the cost of the rod for lines that don't fit....you need a mentor. If you are close to Bellingham, I would be glad to help.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts