Overhand?

Bake

With Spey or switch rods' new-found frame, does anyone do any over-hand casting any more? Many of the rod companies list a line weight for overhand, but really does anyone???

Last edited:

the_grube

I do both. I still enjoy the overhand cast with all its quirks and complexity and I enjoy the single hand roll cast too.

I think that overhand casting is a better choice for wary prey because of the false cast (even a well executed single spey will splash the pond). I also think it's a better choice for full sink stuff... never seen anyone go 2 handed for full sink.

Just my opinions and thoughts.

tackleman

A two-hand rod is just a rod with a handle to use with two hands.
An overhead cast is a cast where the line travels overhead behind and in front, and can be executed with a two-hand rod or a single hand rod.
A spey cast is a roll cast executed with a D-loop anchored in/on the water and can be executed with a two-hand rod or a single hand rod.
Virtually any cast can be made with any rod. Lets keep it simple folks!

Bake

A two-hand rod is just a rod with a handle to use with two hands.
An overhead cast is a cast where the line travels overhead behind and in front, and can be executed with a two-hand rod or a single hand rod.
A spey cast is a roll cast executed with a D-loop anchored in/on the water and can be executed with a two-hand rod or a single hand rod.
That's my point, why mess with two types. Pick one and let the rest go to E-Bay at a loss. Buy one reel with an extra spool or two...

the_grube

Yes, I can cast overhead with a 14' spey rod, but I sure don't want to. And yes, I can execute spey casts with a single hander (particularly with something like RIO's single hand spey line), but if I'm moving a lot of line; using sink tips, or heavy flies then I want something with a '2 hand' grip that's at least 11' long -- namely a spey or switch rod.

Fish any way you want with any stick that works for you, and I'd love to hear your stories. But I prefer to choose the tool that suits the way I'm fishing... if that complicates things so be it.

wetswinger

With Spey or switch rods' new-found frame, does anyone do any over-hand casting any more? Many of the rod companies list a line weight for overhand, but really does anyone???
Look over in the saltwater blog. There’s a blog about two hand overhead casting. Ya, it’s from the beach but has a lot of carryover to rivers..

theTastyPlecopteran

I usually use overhead casts to work my line out until enough shooting head is out of my rod to load up for a spey cast. Overhead casting with a spey rod is more difficult than most people think. Matt Burke has it dialed though. The overhead cast is commonly one of the hardest casting challenges you must pass when considering your THCI from Fly Fishers International.

Mark Mercer

I've gone completely to spey casting with 10'6" switch rods in the salt but do sometime resort to a two hand overhand cast when wading deep and also if casting straight into the wind. It's still kind of fun to just chuck it out there.

Uncle Stu

I use a 2 hand 11' switch rod in the surf, and its all 2H overhead with the odd one-hander now and then. I couldn't execute a spey cast if my life depended on it.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Love the double hand overhead cast! Never knew it to be difficult, it seems pretty straight forward and simple. Easier to cast over your off shoulder (if needed) in a cross wind situation. Possible the THCI Test requires use of a longer head line vs short shooting head?

I fish a lot on lower ends of tribs in fall and winter. Plenty of silt in these low gradient areas. The Double Overhead works like a charm if lucky enough and have room to implement.

Short Vid of Goran Andersson, one of my few adopted mentors. Go direct to 3 minute point if don't care to watch in entirety.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts