Meiser trout spey and OPST line weight

Owyhee

Hello!

I just received a new rod, S2H1004S-4, 10 foot 4 weight for trout fishing in Idaho. I'm trying to get the line weight dialed in. I've gotten multiple recommendations for what weight OPST commando head to use on this. Anywhere from 200-300 grains.

Does anyone have experience with this rod in particular and what it likes? I am using a 7.5 foot s4 sink tip and have a 10 foot float tip both from OPST. Primarily fishing streamers, but also large foam dries for an upcoming trip.

I'm very new to 2H and spey, so any help would be appreciated

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
If OPST recommended a certain line weigh, I would go with that. Probably around 225gr with some 10’ 96gr sink tips would work. You will also want a Scandi as well for fishing floating line stuff.

Just my thoughts...

Owyhee

They gave me a situational answer, sometimes 225, sometimes 250. Maybe dropping down to 200 at times as well. Only one is in the budget right now so maybe I'll try the 225 with a 10 foot tip. Wish I had a local dealer and could try the different options!

Owyhee

Call Bob Meiser - he will sort you out for sure.
(541) 770-4766
When I was on the phone buying the rod from him he suggested I talk with OPST for suggestions he did mention 300-325 for a scandi head so maybe that's where I should shoot for total weight with the opst stuff?

Sorry. I'm new to these concepts

longskagit

My dreams wander the rivers
hmmm...well, the rod states 250-300 Skagit Head, and the OPST run different than a "standard (can I eve say that anymore?)" Skagit head.

If it was mine, I would go with a 225g Commando for starters since that rod is unique in its own right (10' single hand, with two handed applications). The OPST starting point on the single-hand line chart shows a 200g for a 4wt/10' and up rod. I think 275/300g heads would prove awkward.

Does Poppy @ Red Shed still offer a line loaner program?

Mark Koch

Not sure where you are located but, try and find someone with a 225 head and 10' tips and try it.

I have some you can try, guessing you are no where near Western Wisconsin. If you are, hit me up.

I run this setup on an Echo Shadow X 10'6" 3wt per OPST phone conversation, it works.

Owyhee

If it was mine, I would go with a 225g Commando for starters since that rod is unique in its own right
Thanks. I think I'll keep my 225 then and see what I can do with some different tips. I am very excited to take this with me on a trip next week and hopefully get some fish!

I'm not sure about the red shed thing. I should check though.

Owyhee

Not sure where you are located but, try and find someone with a 225 head and 10' tips and try it.
I'm in the Boise area. All ears if someone happens to see this...

Oddly enough I was in WI for a stent though. I have a 7.5 tip I was using with my 9' rod. I think I'll try out the 10 as well

O' Clarkii Stomias

They gave me a situational answer, sometimes 225, sometimes 250. Maybe dropping down to 200 at times as well. Only one is in the budget right now so maybe I'll try the 225 with a 10 foot tip. Wish I had a local dealer and could try the different options!
Seeing that you are relatively new to the game, I would go with the heavier, 250 grain. It will be easier to learn with.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts