Guide Spacing formula or chart?

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
I have a 3 piece rod blank that I purchased for my 1 year old grand son. I am looking for spacing for the guides and length of the grip. Length is 6'-6", line wt is 2/3 but doubt that matters. No big hurry obviously, but i am looking for things to do this winter other than blowing snow and feeding a local flock of quail.

Tom Bowden

This site has 2 guide spacing formulas, the popular Dale Clemens formula, and the late Wayne Cattanach's. I start with the desired location of the stripping guide (28-32" from the butt), then play around with spacing to make sure I don't have a guide on a ferrule. Tape the guides on the rod, run a line through them, then put a reasonable bend in the rod to see if there are any big gaps that require you to adjust the spacing.

Hope this helps.

slow_floccer

The sage website has a section around blanks. For any blank they've ever sold, they show the guide spacing recommended for that build. That might be worth checking out, They may have sold a blank of your length.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
I just go to Sage use their guide spacing easy to find a model that has your size rod and it also give you guide size

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Most of the rod building parts companies (mudhole, angler's workshop, etc) will have charts listing the appropriate number and placement of guides, depending on the length of the rod.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info