Ever eat Pigeon?

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Apparently, in other countries in Europe and elsewhere, Pigeon is a delicacy. They were originally imported to the US as a game bird intended to eat. City Pigeons have given the bird a bad name but birds in the country are a healthier stock. Here is Gordon Ramsay cooking some up. On youtube there are many videos about hunting and eating Pigeon.

Have you or would you ever eat Pigeon? I am about to.

Cheek Meat

Based on my limited research I'd eat one from the country. Read about it a few years ago and then spooked one up the hill while deer hunting. She was HUGE. Scared the crap out of me. She held her ground and freaked out in a tree so I figure she had a nest in there. I'd eat those ones. The best hunter/fisherman I knew as a kid ate city ones when he was there on business( prob NYC). Dude designed weapons for the military. Had plenty of money and meat but he'd get them on the sill of his hotel window with breadcrumbs and snag em by the foot with a dental floss slip knot. Maybe he was messing with me. Doubt It though. He was all business. Sent me home once with trash bags of I think pike after ice fishing with his crew on a private lake at the arsenal. Don't think my parents were stoked. I may or may not have tried and failed at the dental floss thing when I was a broke hungry vegetarian.

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
Wild Rock Doves would be a better choice over feral pigeons. Wild birds feed on grain, seeds, and fruit. There is a season for upland hunting them. I hear that overcooking can bring a “livery” taste. The meat is lean, the skin fatty like duck.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Had an uncle that raised pigeons. The young birds or squab he sold to restaurants. I ate them 1 time, but I was too young to remember. I shot some band tail pigeon years ago, I over cooked them, they were dry and tough, don't remember the flavor. We shot a lot of mourning doves in the Lower Yakama Valley, a friend's mom would bake them stuffed with rice. Very good. Lots of shooting, lots of missing. We would run out of shells, drive into Wapato for more, no light 71/2's just Magnum 5's available, or 6's if lucky. The good old days when we were young.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I ate them regularly when I lived in China. They tasted great, but I tried hard not to think of the garbage they ate. Like Roper wrote, wild rock doves would likely also taste good, as would farmed pigeons.

DavidJP

Its quite nice, the breast lightly cooked, seared mostly and served on a salad is quite a common dish.

This in the UK at least is taken from wood pigeons which are a common farmland bird and very different from the rock dove domestic pigeons. They are quite big and similar to band tailed pigeons here. You never really see these in towns or cities.

Where I went to college a lot of the older houses, we're talking 400 yr old ones had stone built pigeon lofts or dovecotes at the corners of their gardens to provide fresh meat in the form of young pigeons or squabs which apparently in winter was a major food source.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Growing up on McDonald Creek - Carlsborg/Agnew (Skwim), we shot pigeons and ate them. They were good and maybe my depression era mom knew how to cook them. Pretty sure you couldn’t force feed me one of those city scavenger birds.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
WFF Supporter
I use to hunt migratory pigeons up on Segalson ridge in the blue berry patches, but resent years the seasons & bag limit have been dismal. Don’t see the birds like we once did.

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Band tails were fairly plentiful when I was a kid 60 years ago. My mom would cook them in a casserole along with carrots, potatoes, corn, tarragon, and such with plenty of cream added. They were delicious until you bit down on a stray shot pellet.

Oregon still has a fall season, but I've only seen a couple in the last decade.

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Band tails were fairly plentiful when I was a kid 60 years ago. My mom would cook them in a casserole along with carrots, potatoes, corn, tarragon, and such with plenty of cream added. They were delicious until you bit down on a stray shot pellet.

Oregon still has a fall season, but I've only seen a couple in the last decade.
In NY there are no restrictions or limits.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
When I was a kid I had a T-shirt that said: "keep your city clean, eat a pigeon"

No idea how I ended up with it, but it was a hit. People loved it!
I have that sign in my shop. One person I know has access to some feed lots to shoot pigeons. He uses beautiful, expensive imported S X S. There are some YouTube films of feedlot pigeon shooting, good to keep the dog tuned up.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts