Muskie rod advice

WA-Fly

So I'm curious about the jump between a 9 and 10wt when it comes to fishing for muskie. I'm looking at rods and was leaning more towards a 9wt because it would double as a rod for big largemouth, but I feel like a 10wt may be when it becomes too much overkill for bass. But does a 10wt offer that much more advantage for muskie?

Bob Newman

Think about the size of fly you will be casting, that will be the difference. Bigger heavier flies heavier rod. I know Randall use as light as an eight but he ties flies appropriate for the fly size. I have caught pike to 54 inches on a eight weight, but I was only fishing a size 4 clouser.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I don't use an 8 (I do utilize a figure 8 though). I tie some of my flies that could be used on an 8 (only because that's what one of my buddies has), but day in and day out I have two 10 wts in my boat. Occasionally I'll throw a 12. If you're getting a dedicated musky rod, I wouldn't go with anything lighter than a 10. Eventually you'll tangle with a fish that you'll be glad you have a 10 and likely be wishing for a 12.

Do a search, I think @dustinchromers did a review a couple of years back on a good number of solid options for musky rods. Just read it over and it will become readily apparent that not all 10 wts are created equal either.

edit: if you're looking for a great budget option, the Redington Predator is super solid. I don't fish one myself, but tons of guys in the midwest (many guides) fish them and swear by them.

Last edited:
I’d go 10wt. The big yak hair flies I’ve cast for muskie were 12-16” long. Rather have the bigger rod. Especially in the wind. Nice to be able to put the brakes on a big fish too when tight to cover. My 10wt gets used for lingcod and big chums too.

Mark Koch

I started fishing a Sage Payload 8+ this fall with Rio Musky/Pike lines in WF9F and WF9F/I and really like it. Mostly fishing 10" EP patterns with it. This is used on smaller river fish in WI.

For lakes I fish a TFO Esox 10wt with Orvis Depthcharge 350gr, seems to work fine.

If possible, try and cast lots of rods to see what works.

Speyrod GB

I used an Echo IonXL10wt for fishing tigers. It had plenty of backbone and would cast some really large flies (10- 14 in). As the season goes along, weed growth can also be an issue. There is nothing quite like watching fly line trimming weeds while fighting a nice tiger muskie.

WA-Fly

I don't use an 8 (I do utilize a figure 8 though). I tie some of my flies that could be used on an 8 (only because that's what one of my buddies has), but day in and day out I have two 10 wts in my boat. Occasionally I'll throw a 12. If you're getting a dedicated musky rod, I wouldn't go with anything lighter than a 10. Eventually you'll tangle with a fish that you'll be glad you have a 10 and likely be wishing for a 12.

Do a search, I think @dustinchromers did a review a couple of years back on a good number of solid options for musky rods. Just read it over and it will become readily apparent that not all 10 wts are created equal either.

edit: if you're looking for a great budget option, the Redington Predator is super solid. I don't fish one myself, but tons of guys in the midwest (many guides) fish them and swear by them.
Greatly appreciated, I got offered to be traded a rainshadow blank home built 9wt for one of my speys. Definitely leaning more towards a 10 now though, I'll have to read that post about the muskie 10wts

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Greatly appreciated, I got offered to be traded a rainshadow blank home built 9wt for one of my speys. Definitely leaning more towards a 10 now though, I'll have to read that post about the muskie 10wts
here it is...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts