My pram

Augie57

After much back and forth I’m going with a 8 foot wooden pram. It is being built for me by Owen owner of pass lake pram. If you don’t know about his boats be is building Smith brother prams with the blessing of Fred Smith. He’s building 8 foot or 10 . I’m going with the 8 footer, which tops out at 65 lbs.
I’m really excited to get my new boat!!

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
After much back and forth I’m going with a 8 foot wooden pram. It is being built for me by Owen owner of pass lake pram. If you don’t know about his boats be is building Smith brother prams with the blessing of Fred Smith. He’s building 8 foot or 10 . I’m going with the 8 footer, which tops out at 65 lbs.
You'll love how warm and quiet it is!

Denny

I had Fred Smith make this 10 foot pram for me years ago. Had many sweet memories in it. This is Sprague lake in late October.

SAM_0723.JPG

Denny

Thanks George. Yes, I don't get in the boat without my life vest on. My guardian angle has to be getting frustrated with me. I fell out of a boat one time up in Alaska back in 1967 while commercial fishing for sockeye on a 64 foot fishing vessel with at least 500 feet of water under the boat, and at least twice more on different smaller boats that I have had. Never fell out of this one tho. Last time was about two years ago when I was 70. I ended up backstroking about a third of a mile to shore with snow all around the lake and 36 degree water. Took me 40 minutes to get out of the water. Without my life jacket I would have never made it to shore. If you won't wear a life jacket you won't go fishing with me. Anyway I'm still here to reminisce about it. Thank the good Lord.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Thanks George. Yes, I don't get in the boat without my life vest on. My guardian angle has to be getting frustrated with me. I fell out of a boat one time up in Alaska back in 1967 while commercial fishing for sockeye on a 64 foot fishing vessel with at least 500 feet of water under the boat, and at least twice more on different smaller boats that I have had. Never fell out of this one tho. Last time was about two years ago when I was 70. I ended up backstroking about a third of a mile to shore with snow all around the lake and 36 degree water. Took me 40 minutes to get out of the water. Without my life jacket I would have never made it to shore. If you won't wear a life jacket you won't go fishing with me. Anyway I'm still here to reminisce about it. Thank the good Lord.
Grant County had signs at the boat launches, something like ; Since 1960 a bunch of people have drowned in Grant Co., 10 had PFDs on. I don't remember the numbers, but it sure stuck. I would run in and out of the sand dunes at Potholes Res. in the dark, in a jet boat, no jacket, duck hunting. Stupid stuff. I met the partners that made SOSpender PFDs. They had a friend drown, they saw it happen , couldn't do a thing. Now, I won't get in a boat without a jacket. I worked in sporting goods way back (50+years ago) we sold an 8' pram for $29.95 and a 10' was $39.95. they were marine plywood but, they didn't have a lot of quality. My dad built me an 8' that was much better. I try to keep a little log book of my trips, it helps memory, and fun to look back.

JamesRPL+

so, your actual nickname is "lucky"?

JamesRPL+

my sisters and I used to hold hands to cross hywy 405 to go swimming, 405 was 2 lanes than. My Granddad built a 12 foot boat in my Grandmothers living room . great wood boat , rowed like a dream and lasted over 30 yrs. Grand ma gave it to a barber in Quilicene and he used it a while too.

Denny

Hello, I see you have electric motor, did Fred smith add a transom?
Not that I'm aware of. I told him I would be having a electric motor on it, so he built it for that. Never had any problem with it being to weak for the motor,

surfnfish

For all my drift boats/prams I put electric motors or outboards on, I'd mock up a transom sleeve in cardboard and have a local metal shop replicate it in heavy guage sheet metal, about $30 or so.
Highy recommended to protect wood/glass transoms from motor clamps. Just paint to match the boat, good to go.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts