Lone Lake 2/12/20

PeteM

I saw that we had a break in the weather so I decided to hop the ferry and hit Lone Lake. I arrived at the lake around 10:30 with one other guy on the water and three people fishing from shore using maggots and powerbait. I pointed out the regs to them but they just kept saying they knew the regs. I tried calling the poacher's hotline but they discontinued that number and want you to dial 911. I don't feel comfortable using the emergency number for this so I let it go. It was very frustrating though as they caught a number of fish with non of them looking to be over the 18" minimum size. Anyway, I started out with an olive and black bugger with no love. I switched to a Carey and the same thing. I then switched to a white crystal bugger with a bloodworm dropper. I then started to get bites. I hooked 8 and landed 4 (I know, I'm rusty). Most of the takes were very soft with almost all of them on the white bugger. I had quite a few taps without a second take. I tried other baitfish patterns but the white crystal one was the one they wanted. I tried chironomids with an indicator also but only managed one hit but no hook ups. All fish landed were 15-18" and very healthy. I finished up around 3:30. The weather was great most of the day with a small rain squall moving through around lunch time. Most of the action happened between 11:15 and 12 and 2:30 - 3:30.
Lone Lake RB - Small Size.jpg

Tim Lockhart

Pete, hats off for doing something about it and speaking up here - hopefully you're contagious. Granted the resources for enforcement are beyond tight, and that's frustrating for you in that situation, but at least you pulled your weight...I used to think they should pay me for policing Pass all the time, unfortunately sorely needed.

At least Lone is back to its old self. That much activity mid Feb is a great sign..

PeteM

Based on previous reports my expectations were pretty low but I was pleasantly surprised. I was prepared to drive up to Pass during my lunch break if things were too slow but I decided to stay. The action wasn't hot by any means but for mid-Feb, it was good enough for me.

treefrog

Dan Hall
I was there Wednesday (the 19th). Great weather, 46 degree surface temp., very little wind, 10 cars in the lot. I put on about 10:30. I landed a 20" on a chromie which was the only chiro. fish. I landed two others trolled (type 6)
on a olive leech with a red bead up front and a two tone tail: olive and orange. The fish were in great shape and were spunky fighters. I took off about 3.30. I did pick up pockets of fish on my depth finder but they weren't interested in my offerings.

Attachments

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
There was a day last summer on Pass where I informed four different people in boats about the fishing regs as they were fishing bait on spinning gear. I believed that two of them actually didn't know the regs, the other two clearly played stupid. I believe they all paddled off and left. Makes me wonder how many times people get away with stuff like that.

Poachers stink. If you run into people like that who clearly don't care about the rules or fisheries, call 911. They probably aren't one-time offenders.

Creatch'r

Heavies...
I fished it today from about 8:30-3:00. Tough fishing definitely had to move around a lot and work for it with occasional short flurries of take downs. Very soft biters, I’m sure I missed many fish today as the indicators were barely toggling. Landed 8, all nice and healthy fish. All throat samples were daphnia except one fish had a single small bloodworm. All my landed fish ate micro leeches 6-12” from the bottom despite trying half of my fly box.

First day with my new Echo Lago 5100’s.... awesome Stillwater rods. Beautiful day and fun time on a lake I haven’t fished in nearly a decade.

Jiminsandiego

I sometimes ponder the term "poacher". I know a guy that did three years in a federal penitentiary for "poaching" abalone. I think he got busted with 425 of them. He was banking $25,000 per day. Very sad, as he had a beautiful wife and two kids. So , for me, the term "poacher" may have a different meaning. Personally, I have a true distain for those that criminally poach. But, in my view, trout "poachers" are simply idiots that should be dealt with as such.

Last edited:

chiro

I fished it today from about 8:30-3:00. Tough fishing definitely had to move around a lot and work for it with occasional short flurries of take downs. Very soft biters, I’m sure I missed many fish today as the indicators were barely toggling. Landed 8, all nice and healthy fish. All throat samples were daphnia except one fish had a single small bloodworm. All my landed fish ate micro leeches 6-12” from the bottom despite trying half of my fly box.

First day with my new Echo Lago 5100’s.... awesome Stillwater rods. Beautiful day and fun time on a lake I haven’t fished in nearly a decade.
Thanks for the report. Water temp still around 42?

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
We educated a guy at Munn lk that was fishing with power bait, right next to the yellow sign and had a trout in his possession. Later as we were leaving, the game warden stopped by and said it’s a $165 ticket and could even be criminal charges with fish.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Reported some guys on the Yakima fishing with worms. The game warden caught up with them at the take out, dirt in the boat but no worms or fish. But the WSP got the guy with the trailer speeding through the canyon (Hwy 10), and gave him a huge ticket. I've never seen those guys on the river again.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts