Chehalis system to close Sunday

Shad

The rumor mill says the Chehalis River and all tributaries will be CLOSED as of Sunday. Some say not enough hatchery fish; some say not enough wild fish showing. I have no idea. WDFW is expected to post an emergency rule today.

This will put a lot more pressure on the OP streams for whatever is left of the season. Not hard to imagine those streams being closed in the coming weeks. Sad times for our state fish and the anglers who treasure them.

Reactions: JS

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This closure is about the wild fish.
You should expect them to start going in the tank after years of 5-6 days per week netting.
Another nail in the steelhead coffin and as Shad mentioned, a lot more pressure on the OP fish.
Let’s hope some late fish start showing up soon on the Cowlitz.
SF

dustinchromers

They should close the peninsula as well. Enough is enough and the pressure will just end up there anyway. Does it bother anyone that 130% of escapement is caught and handled in certain peninsula rivers? If we close the Chehalis system and really gang bang the peninsula I bet we could get to 150%. That will be something to be proud of. How sporting.

GSIEGEL

They should close the peninsula as well. Enough is enough and the pressure will just end up there anyway. Does it bother anyone that 130% of escapement is caught and handled in certain peninsula rivers? If we close the Chehalis system and really gang bang the peninsula I bet we could get to 150%. That will be something to be proud of. How sporting.
This is the only sane choice. Our managers will opt to not do it citing "no problems" on the OP. Frustrating as hell, isn't it?

JACKspASS

Assembly line fishing at its best, the last frontier of the elusive native steelhead and sasquatch......One is rare, the other doesn't exist, choose your own adventure

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Sure hope with the constant higher water late Fall through now this year in the Chehalis system, that more fish snuck/are sneaklng though post closure to spawn in the tributaries.

If we can now get some optimal flows and successful spawning and rearing-river and ocean, might turn this thing around, take a miracle mixed with some luck and some help from those taking fish so close to spawning..

Last edited:

Phish Guy

Dang... I left the Great Lakes steelhead for some PNW (specifically WA) steelhead... looks like I’m SOL. I wouldn’t trade any of my no-steelhead OP trips though, always a blast, and every now and then a bull trout surprises me. Really hoping to get lucky one of these days! Obviously ethically of course. Major bummer about the low #s. This forum should assemble and get something positive done towards the cause.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Dang... I left the Great Lakes steelhead for some PNW (specifically WA) steelhead... looks like I’m SOL. I wouldn’t trade any of my no-steelhead OP trips though, always a blast, and every now and then a bull trout surprises me. Really hoping to get lucky one of these days! Obviously ethically of course. Major bummer about the low #s. This forum should assemble and get something positive done towards the cause.

Unfortunately our voices will do nothing as the main cause of decline on the coast is tribal harvest. When The Quinalt tribe nets the Queets, Quinalt and Chelalis system 5-7 day a week there is little chance If not for floods and high water they would be gone already. The state can not tell the tribes how to fish, it will take the federal government to take action, and well......

Phish Guy

Unfortunately our voices will do nothing as the main cause of decline on the coast is tribal harvest. When The Quinalt tribe nets the Queets, Quinalt and Chelalis system 5-7 day a week there is little chance If not for floods and high water they would be gone already. The state can not tell the tribes how to fish, it will take the federal government to take action, and well......
I quickly found that out pretty shortly after moving here.. pretty crazy... not much, nothing really, can be done about that.

Here’s something that can be done on a different front. https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/154132/

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts