Chehalis system to close Sunday

winxp_man

Steelhead Bum
What I got from the video. And it was a nice one, and it can open ones eyes.

Low fish numbers - let’s run gill nets

Sediment issues - let’s build a dam to what start pilling up sediment?

Dam building - to protect the flood plains by possibly an extra 12” and that will be the big helping factor?

Sure do love the ideas HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Have to almost say what a dam joke!! Haha!

• Haha
Reactions: JS

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I just now viewed the film. Very informative. Thanks for the link.
I've been opposed to the dam ever since I first heard about it. I feel bad for the folks whose homes and farms get flooded periodically in the flood plane, but I've always felt that anyone who builds in a flood plane should expect that, and that its really short sighted to build in a flood plane in the first place.
My home is located less than 10 feet above sea level, and any tsunami probably would wipe me out. I can't even buy flood insurance where I live, because its in such a low lying coastal zone, so I'd just have to get out (if I could) and save my own life, and lose my property. But I was aware of that when I bought my property and improved it. My eyes were open, and I knew that I was gambling on nothing too extreme ever happening. That's right...I am gambling.
To the South of me a bit, on the North entrance of Willapa Bay, there used to be a town called North Cove. The land has been eroded away by the ocean, and there are some properties underwater and offshore there that still are deeded to the owners who lived on them before the erosion took it all away. I've actually heard local realtors telling clients looking at the next properties that ARE going to get eroded away that, "You never know. It could always come back!" Yeah...right.

The homes, farm buildings and such in the Chehalis basin should have been located above high water to begin with. The farmers could still be grazing their cattle in the bottom lands, and grow hay there during the dryer months, and then move their animals to higher ground, and harvest their hay and store that up higher before the rainy season hits. The homes, barns and buildings should have been built on higher ground. Too late to consider that now, i guess.
I really don't care about the businesses located in the "too low" areas along I-5 near Chehalis and Centralia. That area should have remained farm land, too.
Nothin' like a good rant to help sit out a cold Spring afternoon:rolleyes:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Agree. I'll just move to a couple of Airstreams here if it does take all the structures, and move them a mile up when need be for floods. Just need to make sure you have enough acreage to handle some big valley meanderings and oxbows.

Actually talked to the tax guy out here last year. We have lost 12 acres and structures to the river and thought we would get a tax break. Nope. He said you own land on the other side now, and if you give up the land under the river and the river switches back, that land would be state owned. Made sense, but owning land under a river is pretty odd.

sportsman

North Cove was a breath of fresh air. Still have a T- shirt that says: Grayland-"Hard Rain Cafe"!! Twin Harbour rocks.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Oh, and 3 generations of family lived and died on the farm here in the floodplain, guess that was just part of the gamble when you homestead 120 years ago. Well worth it, sucks to be the one watching it eat structures, but the privacy and wildlife beat the dry, semi-crowded housing a mile up..including the junkyard and barking dogs, and guys target shooting all day. A mile+ buffer is heavenly!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
One thing that became evident to me when watching the film is that the water levels during seasonal flooding on the Chehalis seem to be getting higher in recent years. Some of those folks have raised up the foundations on their homes more than once.
I've read that some climatologists have predicted this as our planet's average sea surface temperatures seem to have risen by one or two degrees celsius over the last century, and warmer marine air close to sea level can hold more moisture than cooler air. So maybe, if this supposed trend continues, then the flooding will only get worse over time.
?

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Yes, that is what I have been reading, and the floods over the past 10-15 years, the big one on the Chehalis, have been the highest we've seen. This Winter were very lucky to have the rain spread out just enough to keep the events eased. If we had one of those dry gaps close, we would have had new historical highs, easily, in my guesstimation.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts