Wading Boots Suggestions?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
One additional thing to think about when hearing about longevity is that one person's season may only be 5 outings while another's might be 50, so judging strictly on years isn't necessarily accurate. If I can get over 100 long days of actual use out of mine, I feel pretty good about it.

Phish Guy

Got the korkers 4 years ago. Still holding up.... I have had the inserts come off in some thick mud... luckily I noticed. Otherwise all around good things. Although I can’t compare it to any of those other brands by experience...

One additional thing to think about when hearing about longevity is that one person's season may only be 5 outings while another's might be 50, so judging strictly on years isn't necessarily accurate. If I can get over 100 long days of actual use out of mine, I feel pretty good about it.

That's a fair point that I have considered, I'm hard on footwear and 100/365 days sounds like a slow fishing year to me so I'll be sure to keep that in mind concerning claims of longevity. Thank you

Mark Mercer

Been using Korkers Greenbacks, for about three years, mostly in the salt but streams as well and they're still going strong. I've gone through two sets of Korker's (boa system) loved the fit and light weight but not replacing the wires. The Greenbacks solve that issue and are just as comfortable, probably won't use anything else, ever!!!

Sir Homey

Level 7 Dungeon Master
Has anybody tried using modern hiking boots that aren’t fishing pacific. They all seem to have plenty of drainage and are far less expensive. Never thought wading boots worked all that well. As for spikes, just use hex- headed sheet metal screws. Work great, cost nothing. My boots have been reglued a million times and still only get two or three years out of them with easy beach use. Kind a tired of it...

That’s exactly what I do. Snag a pair off the bargain rack that are a couple sizes larger than your regular shoe. They drain well, are better suited for walking distances, and even if you replace them every couple years you’re still saving $ vs these expensive wading boots that are on the market today.

Old406Kid

Been using Korkers Greenbacks, for about three years, mostly in the salt but streams as well and they're still going strong. I've gone through two sets of Korker's (boa system) loved the fit and light weight but not replacing the wires. The Greenbacks solve that issue and are just as comfortable, probably won't use anything else, ever!!!

Nice to hear that they hold up in salt.

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
My first dedicated wading boots were indoor outdoor carpet cemented onto hightops with Barge. Since then I have used; the felt sole repurposed roofer boots that Puyans sold, Borgers, several pairs of Simms, the first ultra-slippery rubber sole Beans. Here is a picture of my last four pairs with comments. Wading boots - 1.jpeg
Upper left- Patagonia. Super light, great in the boat when worn without waders. Unfortunately ripped up the left one on a metal raft bolt.
Lower left- Early Korkers. Gifted from a friend. Like the Guccis I replaced the laces with the stretchy rubber introduced by Chota-recommended! The first iteration of these sole pulled off too easily as seen by the Shoegoo. Liked the multiple sole concept.
Upper right- Later Korkers, first pair I had with BOA laces. Much better sole retention. Fairly difficult boot to get into though.
Lower right- Current Korkers. Love 'em.

Like with women and chili I'm of a mind that personal preference is what matters.

Last edited:

Speyrod GB

The newest Korkers have a much better replacement sole system than the first generation. I preg=fer the laces because there is less to fail. I have not used the BOA system, however it's a mechanical system. It can fail. If I have to replace a set of felt soles every year, I can handle it. After all, fishing rivers 3-5 days a week for 3 - 4 months a year, I'll get over it. :D

Haggis57

I got a deal on a used pair of Simms Freestone felt soles last spring. My comments are pretty much the same as previous posters. Very sturdy with great ankle support but the feel noticeably heavier than the Korker Metalheads I have used previously.

I've use Korker Metalheads (2nd Gen soles) with Boa lace system for 8 years, fishing 15 to 20 days a year. Great boot, lightweight, very comfortable and decent ankle support. Similar to the Metalheads in Riogrande King's picture above, I've got Shoe Goo on the sides of my Metalheads where they bend for the toes. They've still got life left in them though. I replace the felts every 1.5 to 2 years which seems reasonable to me. The rubber Klingon soles are OK for walking but of limited use in the water, even with studs. The new Triple Threat soles with Aluminum Hex or Bars look like they'd be a lot more effective. I really enjoyed the Boa lace system - my back appreciated it as well. I did have one Boa lace start to fray on me. I just wrapped a spare boot lace around the top of the boot to take the stress on the remaining strands and kept fishing. I got replacement Boa laces from a local guide shop in Calgary and, with the help of a YouTube video, replaced both laces in 15 minutes. Easily doable in field if necessary once you know what has to be done.

I'm hanging onto the Metalheads for drift boats, loaners or for trips to Yellowstone, etc. where felts aren't allowed.

As others have recommended, I would try the boots on with your waders before buying. Although my Simms Freestones and Korker are both size 11, they certainly each have a different fit.

Ken

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info