Eastern Washington lake report

dbk

It's been a mild winter so the ice was off one of our winter only lakes and was able to fish it yesterday.. this lake holds some large fish and was fortunate to land a few of them.. weather conditions were good with little wind but a high sun and no clouds.. water temps were 43-44 according to my fish finder. Had only fished this lake once before and given it's length and limited time I fished in the first large bay closest to the launch. My initial instincts were to pound the banks but with the high sun I decided to explore the bay with my finder looking for deeper water to see if the fish were holding there.. scattered and random fish would sporadically appear on the side finder in 12-15' over largely a muddy lake bottom that was flat and featureless.. no mids' emerging or shucks to speak of but took a few smaller fish on a philoplume balanced leech and a gloater style jig leech under an indicator then left to fish over vegetation which started showing up in about 8'.. fished along that transition from mud bottom to weeds with no success before moving out into the shoal where the bottom was covered with "grass" in 5-7' of water.. was hoping to see a few fish show at the surface but not a rise.. so with no takes and nothing appearing on my side finder and the grey clouds moving in it was time to adjust.. I went back to the deeper water which was adjacent to rock walls or small "cliffs" along the banks.. the slope was pretty steep above the water where the cliffs were but just above it was a small area that wasn't as steep and provided a narrow stretch of water that ran 3-4' before dropping off into the deep so to speak.. along this 40 yard stretch right off the bank the bottom was "gravely"- small rocks and a few small "boulders ".. if for no other reason than it was totally different than the water I had been fishing before it felt "fishy".. adjusted my indicator to suspend a blob about 3' below and very first cast here was a take and brief hook up of a large fish.. continued slowly working up and along this narrow stretch of shallow water which resulted in 2 large fish to hand with the largest about 6lbs.. had another ldr of a large fish and 2 missed take downs before the bite died..left to fish a shallow flat in the large bay which ran 3-5' and picked up another 3 with the largest about 17-18".. all on the blob.. only fished about 3 hours but it was nice to be on the water when normally it's covered with ice.. March 1st can't come soon enough.. 20200213_130224.jpg

Tim Lockhart

Somehow you and I will get over there at the same time, hopefully sooner than later. Enjoyed that report - some classic DK writing...and angling

dbk

Somehow you and I will get over there at the same time, hopefully sooner than later. Enjoyed that report - some classic DK writing...and angling

Hey Tim.. yes.. definitely need to fish together sooner than later.. hit me up when you are back in Washington.. Will be fishing Pass door a few days towards the end of March..

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Hey Tim.. yes.. definitely need to fish together sooner than later.. hit me up when you are back in Washington.. Will be fishing Pass door a few days towards the end of March..
Let me know when.

dbk

It was pretty cold last night...my guess is no or very quickly becoming a no.
I went out yesterday to fish another lake 20 minutes away from the lake I gave this report on.. this other lake was completely iced over.. its much smaller but I suspect the lake in this report is iced over as well.. it may still have some open water but getting to it would be difficult..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts