Sage SP / SP+ / SPL / SPL-CA Rod Info List

Cardstock

Updated 2/19/20

And because I am a glutton for punishment, admitting yesterday that this one wasn't complete was making me anxious, so I filled in as many holes in my Sage SP / SP+ / SPL / SPL-CA list as I possibly could. Doing this without any of the catalogs, just about everything I've got shown has been confirmed by seeing a picture of it. Text is smaller in the picture, sorry to fit it in it has to be harder on the eyes.

Because I don't have the catalogs and I don't know exactly what it means, I've listed whether or not the rod has "Durascrim" printed on it. Seems like it was something contained to the SP and SP+ series of rods. Also seemed more important at the beginning of putting the list together until I saw the pattern. If I had to guess it wouldn't be shown on any of the SPL rods where I don't have anything listed. But in spreadsheet land, do not enter values unless you know the data is good.

Year Ranges as far as I can tell
SP 1993 - 1997
SP+ 1995 - 2001
SPL 1998 - 2001
SPL-CA 1999 - 2001

Center Axis Rods in 0-3 weights came with the 3100 reel, 4-5 weights came with the 3200 reel

Glaring omissions are:
Do these rods actually exist: SP 480-3 and SPL 589-5
Weight and Durascrim on SP 376-3
Weight and Durascrim on SPL 474-3
Durascrim on SPL 489-3
Weight on SP 586-2

SP.JPG
Sage SP2.JPG

Last edited:

Porter

Yes I believe so. Sage has made blanks available (for rod builders) for all their rods they build.

Cardstock

Out of curiosity, why are you compiling this data? Are you trying to acquire each rod?
Well, I broke my 5wt a few months back and started looking for what to replace it with. At the same time I was investigating super short rods for super small water. The LL rods fit both those criteria. In discussion about the LL rods, frequently the SP/L rods would be brought up. I am young to the sport and was fascinated by these super deep product lines. And I like lists and data. It started by just writing down a new weight/length every time I'd see one and eventually it became these much more dynamic lists to make comparisons. And i wasn't finding everything in one place so I figured I'd share. My pockets are no where near deep enough to even think about owning each.

Last edited:

Cardstock

Yes I believe so. Sage has made blanks available (for rod builders) for all their rods they build.
Sweet, The lists of blanks added quite a few to the SP list. The blanks available for the LL are by no means all they offered. This might be because some of them were graphite ll, but others, like the Nippon/Japan versions as easy examples are not offered as blanks. So their blanks are not the end all to what is and has been available, but it is a great help! Thank You again. I will get the above updated soon

Last edited:

Porter

Yep, Not sure about any special rods as you mention ever being on the list.

Last edited:

Cardstock

Yeah it doesn't, Sorry about that. The website has gone through updates/changes over the years and I guess they didn't carryover some of the rods. I believe at one time they had all their rods on their rod building guide spacing list, but that was a bit ago. I have seen older sage catalogs on the web such as this one, but 1991 doesn't help you.

It is alright, it was still a pretty big help with the SP stuff. I was missing quite a few.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I emailed Sage last week asking about a table of some sort that I had seen a few years back that listed the rods they built from the beginning to the present, which replaced which, and the original selling price. I have seen such a table but they wrote back and said it doesn't exist from their offices. Somewhere in a pile of stuff, I have that table but it's printed so small I had to use a magnifying glass to read it and it is out of date now. I suggested that it might be a good idea but they turned down the idea and said it must have been produced by an outside source.

Cardstock

I emailed Sage last week asking about a table of some sort that I had seen a few years back that listed the rods they built from the beginning to the present, which replaced which, and the original selling price. I have seen such a table but they wrote back and said it doesn't exist from their offices. Somewhere in a pile of stuff, I have that table but it's printed so small I had to use a magnifying glass to read it and it is out of date now. I suggested that it might be a good idea but they turned down the idea and said it must have been produced by an outside source.
I've seen mention of that during my searches. If I stumble upon it again, I will see if I can lift it from its' place.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts