NFR Everest is a Train Wreck

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
I am pretty much in agreement with closing it down.

There is no way to get that stuff down. It’s like (Rainer, and the shit everywhere up at Muir)^10.

Took the mountain climbing drive right out of me to spend time at these dirty base camp areas. Climbing to human filth a few years in a row is a motivation killer

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Did you all look at that line of people going up to the top of Everest. Shit, it looks like a traffic jam.

cdnred

Did you all look at that line of people going up to the top of Everest. Shit, it looks like a traffic jam.
Right and if one guy stops to take a break or a poop, everyone stops. They show one line going up but not one going back down the same way. Not for me..

Mark Moore

Just a Member
WFF Supporter
Many climbers have died in recent years because of that traffic jam. There are spots along that ridge where it is impossible for people ascending to pass people descending. Exhausted climbers stop top let others pass and can’t get moving again.
Everest has become a cash cow for Nepal and the bills are coming due.

jwg

There are some new rules for 2020 that should reduce the novices on the climb.

This guys blog is informative

The combination of inexperienced climbers with inexperienced guides has been particularly problematic

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Many climbers have died in recent years because of that traffic jam. There are spots along that ridge where it is impossible for people ascending to pass people descending. Exhausted climbers stop top let others pass and can’t get moving again.
Everest has become a cash cow for Nepal and the bills are coming due.
Do not forget, Everest is climbed from -and has a basecamp on, the Chinese side as well. That side they drive to basecamp.

The routes meet up at one point, the Nepalese and Chinese parties become one.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
I should add, they generally meet up as one nearing the summit. Not a lot of options up there when you are on a knife edge and huge drop-offs on either side, but leave it to climbers to try the impossible.

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Olympia's own former Willi Unsoeld, was, I believe, in the first party to climb Everest up one route and out another in the 60's.

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
Willie and Tom Hornbien were the first to climb the west ridge. They got to a point where they could not backtrack to get down and had to go up. He lost nine toes to frostbite. He died on Rainier with a number of students from Evergreen State College in an avalanche. His daughter died on a climb with him on Nadia Devie, the mountain she was named after.
He was a great speaker and charged a minimal fee to see his lectures and sent the money back to the Nepal sherpas.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts