Area 13 Public Beaches - New to me exploring

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I am not particularly adventurous when hitting salt water beaches.

I choose 2 close, easy to get to waters along with the hoards of other urban anglers who may not have much time to fish.

Sucess has been mostly with fun clipped trout sized coho. Maybe ratio of 10 ressie coho to one wild sea run cuttie.

Fishing new blue lines in freshwater in summer has been fun and productive for the past few summers, so why put more effort into seeking new winter salt?

Rumor has it there may be sea runs in area 13.

I sat withn my old Delormes map combined with newer google maps and found entire coast lines covered with pricate homes w/no public access (Lucky for those of you with power boats you are willing to launch in the salt)

But I did find approx 50 public boat launches, state, city, county parks and other preserves that might possibly provide access to chase sea runs.

I hope exploring new, out of the way venues will make catching sea runs a reality.

Exploring will be fun, fishing or not.

Mark Mercer

I choose 2 close, easy to get to waters along with the hoards of other urban anglers who may not have much time to fish.

Sucess has been mostly with fun clipped trout sized coho. Maybe ratio of 10 ressie coho to one wild sea run cuttie.

Fishing new blue lines in freshwater in summer has been fun and productive for the past few summers, so why put more effort into seeking new winter salt?

I sat withn my old Delormes map combined with newer google maps and found entire coast lines covered with pricate homes w/no public access (Lucky for those of you with power boats you are willing to launch in the salt)

But I did find approx 50 public boat launches, state, city, county parks and other preserves that might possibly provide access to chase sea runs.

I hope exploring new, out of the way venues will make catching sea runs a reality.

Yep, that's how it's done, good for you getting out and exploring. This is not the best time for SRC's but there is always a few out there and it will improve as we get more into spring.

Kayaks are a good option to explore the beaches you can't get to, and there's plenty of high bank beaches you can fish, just can't walk too.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

If you find a beach that looks promising and see some homeowners, don’t hesitate to ask them for permission to fish. Tell them you’ll be quiet, pick up any litter you find and if it is a salmon beach, gift them a hatchery coho.....or a nice bottle of wine or alcohol.
The worst they can say is no. Having private access is worth its weight in gold.
SF

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Update:. Spent 2 afternoons exploring. Saw 6 or 7 beaches, fished two of them. No fish jumped, bit or landed.

Highlight of trip was when I assumed a trail thru woods was a shortcut vs boring logging road. WRONG, after 20 min bushwhacking the trail ended in a steep canyon ridge.

Ah the adventure

It is looking like one or two in ten beaches will hold potential. Most beaches visited so far are too shallow and)or Sandy. I did see 1 inch long schools of translucent fish hanging out within 10 if shore near sandy mouth of a stream. Pink or Dog fish babies? No bruiser cutties chasing them.

Last edited:

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
If you find a beach that looks promising and see some homeowners, don’t hesitate to ask them for permission to fish. Tell them you’ll be quiet, pick up any litter you find and if it is a salmon beach, gift them a hatchery coho.....or a nice bottle of wine or alcohol.
The worst they can say is no. Having private access is worth its weight in gold.
SF
A nice box of See’s dark chocolate buttercream chocolates is another “thank you” option.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Seems a bit early for chum or pink fry, but you never know.

One thing I’ve always wondered about chum fry in relationship to the sound and canal.
Do summer chum fry emerge earlier then fall or winter chum fry since they enter streams earlier to spawn?

In other words, will you see chum fry earlier in the canal from summer chums then you will in say the south sound with fall and winter chums?
I can’t recall seeing any chum fry in either place until March, but maybe I’m just not paying attention in February.
SF

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Salmon fry already? That would be cool, any streams nearby?
Not sure. I watched them for 15 min trying to figure them out. Body was translucent, I thought aybe some kind of shrimp, but they swam like fry. Thousands of them, not one big fish chasing them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts